MakeWebGames

My First WebPage

Razor42

Hey there,

I have recently been practicing with CSS to help advance my skills in the language. During this time I have learned a lot, mostly about CSS3 and the excellent features it offers which before I never knew of and also learned a lot about cross browser performance. While learning new things in languages I personally feel the best way to go about it is to actually put it in to play and create something with it, so I decided to create myself a personal webpage, in fact its the first full webpage I have created. I wanted the webpage to be simple and easy to read but I also wanted the site to look respectable and nice whilst being able to put into play some of the new things I would be learning. The site is coded fully in HTML & CSS and doesn't use any images at all just pure code. I know it works on Mozilla and it should work on Chrome and haven't tested in IE but if someone could test it that would be great and ill fix it up? Visit it at http://www.razor.asishosting.com/Index.html and tell me what you think. It isn't quite finished yet going to add a contact form and maybe change up the design depending on your guys opinions.

Screenshot:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]811[/ATTACH]

personal.thumb.png.bfcb922db00a78de7889c20f34b31176.png

If you would want someone to take you serious, I would definitely upgrade and improve on the look of your site. Right away, if i was searching to hire someone, I would leave without giving it a second glance. The graphics are very very old, the white on a light gray box makes me squint my eyes to read the text. The page does not seem organized at all. Plus the contact page is just a white background and I believe that this a ready to be used script from the internet (mailer.php).

Its not for someone to take me seriously, if you read the original post you would see it was literally just to help me advance my skills in HTML & CSS as the whole layout is pure code and uses zero images and yes mailer.php is from the internet but has been changed greatly, I can show the file I took from the internet next to what i'v changed to if you would like?

I am using firefox and the box's of content is not in the right position the about, and projects are in the middle of the main container, while the service and contact is off the side of the main container, and you can only see half of the service box...

They have a website that offers you too see your web page in all browsers and dimensions @ http://browsershots.org

I use Firefox as well, and the boxes are off.

I am also on a wide screen, when I drag it over to my 1280x1024 monitor only the menu is out of position.

Try to not rely on fixed position. I would move the menu out of #container (its also missing an ending div), and use a wrapper container.

<div id="wrapper"> <!-- set with -->
<div id="services"></div> <!-- float right?, margin right? -->
<div id="container">
		<div id="about"></div> <!-- Use classes instead -->
	<div id="projects"></div>
</div>
</div>

<html>
<link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href='i_stylesheet.css'/>
<head>

Should be

<html>
<head>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="i_stylesheet.css" />

</br> HTML5 <br /> (xhtml) or <br>(html)

Not to be specification nazi, but if not following the specifications given in the doctype, each browser will start guessing what you mean, and follow their own rules. Most important is the use of " (HTML5 might allow ' but then HTML5 should be defined as doctype) on attributes.

There is a saying that centered text is the trademark of an amateur, I have been avoiding that ever since, don't want to blow the cover.

Edited by Someone

Its not for someone to take me seriously, if you read the original post you would see it was literally just to help me advance my skills in HTML & CSS as the whole layout is pure code and uses zero images and yes mailer.php is from the internet but has been changed greatly, I can show the file I took from the internet next to what i'v changed to if you would like?

Even that, you still asked people for opinions and that is my opinion. It's very basic and doesn't work well with each other.