MakeWebGames

Question: Text Editing

gmoore

I guess this is just a design question. In the case of the Welcome message.

From welcome module, public.php:

echo Translate("This web game is free to play, and offers lots of fun and activities!<br><br>Join now by pressing the Register button on the left side, or log in using the form at the top of the page!");

Is it normal in the design to just edit the message in public.php OR are you supposed to add a translation for this word grouping? Both seem kind of kludgy. Should there not be a system that does some sort of text replacement like:

echo Translate($global_welcome_message);

Then have an admin module that allow you to edit global messages?

I just want to know if I am missing something before I write this.

Thank you,

Greg

Admin panel has the admin_language_editor module

In the menu if logged in as admin you can use the bottom link "Enable Text Editor" and edit text directly as you browse the game.

And there is also the translation file at language/en.xml

What I have not figured out yet, is how to add more languages. Only setting Ive found is the main language setting.

Yeah I saw that, but when you logout to see the welcome screen the permission/option is turned off. So can't edit the public items. Again, or I just don't know where.

Greg

If I'm following correctly:

The admin panel, has a language editor, that allows you to change public facing messages just the same as one would use it to change in-game messages.

Look for the message you want to edit, and click edit.

In the case of the welcome message, it's quite close to the bottom of the list on a fresh install, and looks like "

This web game is free to play, and offers lots of fun and activities!<br><br>Join now" on the preview.

I was just trying to make a more elegant solution. I mean I may want several paragraphs with images and what not. So I thought a variable or simpler code could make it easier for long text blocks to change. I have no problem changing 'Clan' to 'Group' but big blocks could get out of hand.

(And thank you for the response. I knew it would be edit from the language OR something)

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Currently there is no pre-made support for multiple language. However it's really simple to offer it as it's a single variable to change. Could be done either from the engine itself or an additional module.

For the home page, I would personally go for some sort of "CMS" instead, the current home page is a simple example, but may not be the best one for a live game.