MakeWebGames

Installing PHP, Apache and NWE on Ubuntu

a_bertrand

A full info about how to install all what you need on the Linux distribution Ubuntu can be found here:

http://www.nw-engine.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_Install

I offer there info about how to setup Apache, PHP and MySQL, as well as how to easily install NWE (whatever version).

Additional info about how to enable the PHP error display and how to install yourself a good PHP editor is included. Comments / feedback are welcome.

If you need to have the same kind of info on another distro let me know. I could also do it for XAMPP on Windows if needed.

IMO: http://www.sublimetext.com/2 is a much better editor than Komodo Edit.

(It's also free for evaluation: No evaluation time limit, pay the $59 when you feel you can really make use of the editor and wish to support the dude behind it.)

Then again all opinions really.

Without hijacking this thread, there's also a course/guide to using ST here (https://tutsplus.com/course/improve-workflow-in-sublime-text-2/) [free]

Edited by Djkanna

On Topic:

I think the tutorial, although insightful, is lacking a lot of content.

Most of those packages require user-intervention when installing, especially mysql.

Other packages that are required, like an outgoing mailserver(postfix) is not included.

The php5-mysql package is bundled with the php5 parent on Ubuntu, IIRC.

I've written a detailed doc that's based on Redhat & Debian OSes, in which I describe how to install everything(from minimal-install to full LAMP stack & more) - I'd be more than happy to share some of that content with you for the purpose of educating people how to configure a server into this setup.

Off Topic:

I've used Sublime Text 2 extensively as my main development tool for the last few months.

It's pretty kick-ass, and it is actually free.

The free version however, is free for evaluation for an unlimited time span.

Sublime Text 3 will not be(if it's ever released).

On ubuntu, I must admit I'm far from being a master of it... I'm too used to Cent-OS. And if you think some info is lacking, then let me know what, I'm more than willing to improve it.

I would be more than happy if you share your doc, any info is always helpful.

From sublimetext own website: "Sublime Text may be downloaded and evaluated for free, however a license must be purchased for continued use."

So... as far as I see / read it, it's not really free. Sure they don't push you, but yet it's not free.