MakeWebGames

Need help starting off on my game

MrCbrl95

hey guys, i just registered here because i need a forums where i can come back to in case i need help developing my game. this site seems pretty good.

well i get right to it now. i plan to make a mmorpg browser text based game with some 2d graphics. it should be easy because it will probably just have alot of "if this", "then do this" type of scripting since its text based, but i wanna hear it from more experienced people, which program should i use for making this game? im not experienced in java, flash, openGL, python.. nothing really, im gunna start looking into it now however and ill come back to this forums if i have other questions i cant find the answers to on my own. i just wanna know on which direction i should be heading.

How are you at making graphics, you explained what you can't code but didn't explain your no good with photoshop or other web designing software.

um ive used blender GUI engine for 3d rendering before, and ive never used photoshop but i have used GIMP image manipulater which is similar. ive made a few games in batch file scripting, thats how i sorta understand the "if this", "then do this" type of scripting. currently im studying a bit of HTML, and ive been told to study HTML, CSS, PHP, and MySQL because its good to know. i just wanna hear from someone else to confirm what i should be doing, to know which direction i should lead towards. sorry, im such a noob

Hey, I'd say, if you think you may have the money, and some patience, I'd wait for Mccodes V3 to release, or alternatively you can NWE, and buy it, it would give your game a great start, and while your learning, I'd suggest uploading all your files to your localhost, and adding / creating mods. When you think you have a decent enough result, go ahead and put it online. ;)

Good luck. ;)

um, its gunna have equipment, weapons such as swords, blades and so on. itll have 2 battle types; melee (swords and what not) and magic, but you can choose which u want to traine, its not like a race thing and then your only limited to 1. i might add more battle types later on dont know yet. its gunna have pvp and pets and AIs to battle with. lastly itll have something i call heredity, which is like a bloodline where when someone makes a new account theres a possibility their account might have a heredity which gives special power ups, such as damage boost, damage protection, and special magic/melee techniques. i dont wanna bore players with only text so ima add 2d graphics such as showing the character and its equipment so that with different equipment the character looks different, plus images (avatars) that show when in combat. and more..

itll be fun, but itll probably be a while till i get it atleast into beta

Hey, I'd say, if you think you may have the money, and some patience, I'd wait for Mccodes V3 to release, or alternatively you can NWE, and buy it, it would give your game a great start, and while your learning, I'd suggest uploading all your files to your localhost, and adding / creating mods. When you think you have a decent enough result, go ahead and put it online. ;)

Good luck. ;)

thanks, um idk what mccodes is, or NWE or how to upload files to my localhost (idk what that is or how to make one, or what its for) and idk how to create mods and stuff, and i havent even started the game yet past the point ive written down mostly everything i want in the game

Start with learning HTML, Javascript (CSS isn't to big of a deal unless you want to make things look pretty.)

The start researching how a website works, whilst learning HTML I'm sure you'll be taught a little about this.

First of all, are planing on making this a web game, or a desktop app? - Scratch that, it's in the first post.

Yeah follow DJK's advice and once you feel adequete at coding get an engine, MCcodes, NWE or wait for my team(CookieGamings) Engine will be released soon with some of the graphic features you want pre-built in. Then once you get an engine spend time messing about with it, seeing how everything works and getting used to it, this will help you alot in understanding how it works and how to code for it. Or you have the some what "easier" option of hireing somone to do the work for you, but if you want a much more personal game and a sense of self accomplishment, do it yourself. Also it will be a great learning expericence. Oh and one last thing, if you get stuck on anything there will be plent of people willing to help out round here.

yeah i wanna make it a browser game, not a download needed game. and yeah ima learn javascript also, thanks. btw how long you think itll take for me to learn all of those things?? im a fast learner

It depends on your ability to learn, you can learn what you need to achieve your goals, quite easily. Then it changes as your goals change.

The issue is, this industry is fast paced and constantly evolving, that means you're always learning new things and you have to just to keep up.

It depends on your ability to learn, you can learn what you need to achieve your goals, quite easily. Then it changes as your goals change.

The issue is, this industry is fast paced and constantly evolving, that means you're always learning new things and you have to just to keep up.

so youre telling me i would need to continously edit all my scripting whenever it goes through those evolving stages ? :/ that sounds exhausting.

oh and im a very good learner when i set my mind to it. im a fast learner as i stated previously

btw any image i use for my game's site or w.e needs to be created by me from scratch right ? because of copyright reasons and what not.. so how do i go about creating awesome pictures? o.O because while im learning html it showed me a site where i can make and edit a website free, and im gunna start there testing on it as if i were making the actual site for my game.

Edited by MrCbrl95

so youre telling me i would need to continously edit all my scripting whenever it goes through those evolving stages ? :/ that sounds exhausting.

oh and im a very good learner when i set my mind to it. im a fast learner as i stated previously [...]

No.

You'll be continuously learning, whether you choose to use what you learn within your projects or not, is entirely up to you.

Normally you should take this road: do it by yourself or pay somebody for doing it for you.

In the best case you can find some true open source / open content art... But they are hard to find and usually only partially fit your needs. So you will be best served with the do all yourself.