MakeWebGames

Marketplace

Lithium

This is not a request for help, but a request for some explanation on the new Marketplace for modifications!

1. Who can post modifications on the market and what steps are needed in order to post those modifications?

2. What is the charged fee for each modification posted there?

Hello!

Currently anyone can post modules on the marketplace, though they have to go through an approval stage unless you are a reseller. There is a commission fee of I believe 30% which includes paypal fees

Hello!

Currently anyone can post modules on the marketplace, though they have to go through an approval stage unless you are a reseller.

Good enough!

There is a commission fee of I believe 30% which includes paypal fees

Am i reading this as i should? 30%?

Why should anyone give a fee of 1/3 of any modification?

In exchange for what?

What benefits do those 30% fee bring to whoever posts their work under that marketplace or even towards the community?

I take this quote from the announcement made.

Why marketplace and not just list modules as a thread on MakeWebGames.com (MWG) under the modules forums?

a) More popularity, direct access.

b) Everything in place – secured and verified (High-end quality)

MakeWebGames.com board of MCCodes modules is also now synced with the MCCodes Marketplace at mccodes.com.

Note: MCCodes can also set Reseller rights on client accounts so they can sell modules without having to go through Mod Approval phase and receive many other benefits. This right is given to “certified mccodes developers” who have contributed a lot to the community and are skilled. For example: A graphic designer which every game developer goes to for designs. He/she simply makes a module (package of weapon images/template/mascots etc) and lists it without having to go through approval stage.

We are preparing the Marketplace to support the next MCCode engine’s modules. It’ll be plugged right into the engine itself for easy installation.

Bold are the key points.

Point a)

Popularity? Don't make me laugh!

MWG had and still has more popularity than MCcodes site will ever had, and looking for the past years, mccodes would've been literally dead if this forum never existed.

Point b)

Secured and verified, i can agree with the verified bit. As for the secured one... highly doubtful watching mccodes history and followed patches that never patched engines properly!

There's something not in bold that makes me have a brief laughable moment, followed by a scary thought... “certified mccodes developers” what is this exactly? mccodes is plain PHP+ MySQL, so i don't see where a "certified mccodes developer" places amongst that. Recognized by the MCCodes team? Come on... with a total lack of updates/support in here from the MCCodes team for about 5 years, now you want to give some appreciation to whoever developed to it? Do it I say, not the way you are trying to do! As far as i see, MCCodes saw yet another opportunity to milk some extra cash with absolutely no effort out of the pocket of developers.

Current mccodes mods market is way too low to even most of those who develop consider even to code a single line and you (team) think you are entitled to take 30% off of that? I ask you this... why would I give you, that gave me nothing in return nor will ever give me, 1/3 of my works earnings?

Hi Lithium,

Apologies on behalf of Ian. The MCCodes Marketplace commission fee is set at 10%, not 30%. 30% was written in the plan documentation and released with it but was changed after couple of days. This 10% fee is to cover PayPal fees as well as other directly related costs.

I give the title “certified mccodes developers” to developers whom I believe produces high-end MMORPG features. I flick any freelance works to these guys and MCCodes takes full responsibility of the work they produce. There aren't many, but the demand for these guys are high.

@ ColdBlooded: Your reply corrects as it seems some misconception around the fees Ian stated previously, but still, even them being at 10% i don't see the point to have them on marketplace as placing them in here would make a 100% income for the developer and not 90%, also, placing them here keeps the community on the right place, making it what always has been, despite the commonly low activity that has driven this forums for quite sometime now. Yet i still have no answer on the benefits to whoever uses the marketplace as the ones posted by "Ian" fall under a tree has they have no consistency!

@Ian: Step down from your high horse, if you don't like negative comments, look at my signature. I am more than entitled to _DISLIKE_ and talk about that! If you do not have arguments to keep on a discussion, either negative/constructive/whateve!r, it's your problem, not mine. You say for me to get my facts right? Oh dear, it seems to me that you should learn how to read/interpret as i stated security towards the engine itself and in no place i referred the "site". I did refered the "mccodes team" as a whole, simply for the fact i don't know nor even could care less on who is who in it!

The idea of the market is simple; All modifications checked over by the original creators of the system, and easy for customers to purchase from. Developers have their product checked over, and gain feedback in order for a better all round experience. Just to show I get what you’re aiming for.

As I was the last time this idea popped up in a market such as this I am against fees. From a business point of view (so yours) at the very least you need to consider dropping them until you have a line of developers adding new modifications on a regular basis. This shouldn’t really include the mccodes team.

As for the actual advantages rather than the idea of it being simple? For the engines as they stand I see nothing for the developers. Those who would get your mccodes certificated status already have a reputation within the community without the need to give up the 10% fee. As for the customers they may get the modification a little faster, but the chances are they would pay more due to the fee. I don’t see the advantage on the developer’s side, and if they don’t use it the customers can’t.

Those who have been around a while, and I really don’t mean to sound offensive here, won’t put much stock in your check over as it stands. What I would suggest is listing those who check each modification. For example something checked over by Paul would for me mean more then something checked over by an unnamed developer. Link that to the mccodes team bio, and maybe bring in one or two volunteers for larger modifications. This probably won’t be possible until the market grows.

Seems the new site is designed to work with v3. That is of course fine, but you could integrate something into v2 allowing people to have the same features you plan for v3? Otherwise what’s the point in using it right now? That is the question that seems to be puzzling people.

I have a few problems with the marketplace, so I'd like to just comment on a few things.

First off, I continue to not receive e-mails regarding the status of my mods. I don't know if they're approved, declined, how much longer I should wait, or what.

Secondly, in regards to the wait time, the site states 1-2 days. It took over a week for my V2 conversion of my mission mod to show up for purchase. Again, with none of the e-mails I was told I should receive.

Third, it's obvious these "resellers" aren't subject to the same scrutiny of bug checks. Explain why that is. Why do they get the right to make money FASTER than the rest of us? Their mods are up within, what, minutes? And the rest of us have to wait a week or so? If you're too busy to check the mods right away, change your process. Add a "Report Broken Mod" button or something.

Finally, why do I need to wait AGAIN just to edit the price on my mod? Is it because you, for some reason, require a RE-UPLOAD even when trying to make one simple edit? Tell me why that's even necessary.

And another thing I almost forgot. V1 of my mod was on the marketplace. Then, as soon as the V2 of it was approved, the V1 disappeared. Why? It was already approved and on the market. As I didn't change anything, there's no reason it should have been taken down. Again, no e-mail or communication explaining this.

In my opinion, it's kind of a broken system, and I do not believe it was very well thought out. I don't mind the 10% fee simply because it's automatic, and I'm not constantly having to send new copies to new people. I do wish the rest of these issues would be looked into, though. I've definitely been discouraged from using the marketplace for now.

And another thing I almost forgot. V1 of my mod was on the marketplace. Then, as soon as the V2 of it was approved, the V1 disappeared. Why? It was already approved and on the market. As I didn't change anything, there's no reason it should have been taken down.

Thanks for reporting this bug. It appeared that there was a bug that if there is a same module name simultaneously for V1 and V2 engines then it didn't work well and made one of the module for an engine disappear. You will need to remake the one that's missing.

Finally, why do I need to wait AGAIN just to edit the price on my mod? Is it because you, for some reason, require a RE-UPLOAD even when trying to make one simple edit? Tell me why that's even necessary.

Modules no longer go through the approval phase if it's edited. It now only goes through the approval phase when it is first time added to the marketplace.

Third, it's obvious these "resellers" aren't subject to the same scrutiny of bug checks. Explain why that is. Why do they get the right to make money FASTER than the rest of us? Their mods are up within, what, minutes? And the rest of us have to wait a week or so? If you're too busy to check the mods right away, change your process. Add a "Report Broken Mod" button or something.

Mods shall be now approved/rejected a lot quicker. It does take us fair amount of time to actually install the module on the targeted engine and see if it matches its implied description. Reviewing the script briefly adds on overhead also.

We aim to review each submitted module within 1-2 days.

In my opinion, it's kind of a broken system, and I do not believe it was very well thought out. I don't mind the 10% fee simply because it's automatic, and I'm not constantly having to send new copies to new people. I do wish the rest of these issues would be looked into, though. I've definitely been discouraged from using the marketplace for now.

Further update on the Marketplace will be touch based on at the announcement thread: http://makewebgames.io/showthread.php/41711-MCCodes-reformation in the coming week.

Good to see you guys are listening.

While I'm still unhappy with the potential wait time, I do like the current fixes.

Could you not bring someone on as a full-time mod-checker? It just seems, the longer that whole process takes, the longer people are waiting to earn some cash, and they get kind of discourages. They go back to just listing them here.

Also, one suggestion. You should look into recording downloads of free mods. Just so coders can know what people are enjoying and what needs improvement. Or, just politely encourage leaving a review and rating.

Otherwise, good work so far.

Good to see you guys are listening.

We always listen :)

While I'm still unhappy with the potential wait time, I do like the current fixes.

Otherwise, good work so far.

Thank you.

Could you not bring someone on as a full-time mod-checker? It just seems, the longer that whole process takes, the longer people are waiting to earn some cash, and they get kind of discourages. They go back to just listing them here.

Sure, we just added a download counter on free module listings. This should give some sort of feedback on the module and to its author(s). Great suggestion however. I had same thoughts as well. We'll implement a review system later.

We'll look into bringing someone dedicated to the Mods Approval Team. If anyone is keen, then please show your interest by PMing me.

We always listen :)

Thank you.

Sure, we just added a download counter on free module listings. This should give some sort of feedback on the module and to its author(s). Great suggestion however. I had same thoughts as well. We'll implement a review system later.

We'll look into bringing someone dedicated to the Mods Approval Team. If anyone is keen, then please show your interest by PMing me.

Now, THAT is customer service. Very nice job.