MakeWebGames

Hey VPS Question

skooda

Hey im opening a new game I have it my webhost but many others keep refering me to a vps so I have a friend that sales vps and he offer to give me one for 2ys just for 100$ is this good I may have posted this question before but this a different deal.

This is what he offer I would like to know how many users can it hold and is it a good choice for a game.

192MB Dedicated Memory

256MB Burst Memory

20GB RAID-1 Hard Disk Space

500GB Bandwidth

1 IP Address

100Mbps port

Yes, as mysql will tend to cache (if you allow so) the index keys, apache will use anyhow some memory by itself (how much depends how you configure it), and of course your PHP scripts will use some too.

Would a normal script work on that config of yours? Yes I guess so. However you may not reach very good performances that's it.

If your hosting allows it, you may start with the configuration they propose and then check how to upgrade if you need more.

100$ for a year? for a month?

192Mb of ram is really low even if they promise 256 Burst...

7 Euro per month can get you:

512Mb of ram

40 Gb of diskspace

500 Gb of traffic per month

http://www.leaseweb.com/en/cloud-hosting/express-cloud

Which would mean around 109$ a year.

So look around, your offer for me is really not all that good.

So I will be able to run a game on this deal

With your deal? Not really no. You will be able to start a game (like with any shared host) but not much more.

With 512 Mb of ram, will be a bit better but still on the low side. At the end of the day for a successful game you will need a dedicated server quiet certainly or a good cloud hosting.

By nature

no one else is sharing it

Is incorrect.

Anyhow....doesnt really matter if you think its a good deal then take it. Quoting the actual DC is not very good info. You can have different providers providing the bandwidth into a DC but some only paying for the use of some of them.

The deal seems now way too good to be true ;)

Also, do you really know how to manage a Linux system? Apply patches and enable the basic linux firewall rules? Do you know how to make backups? At least for the DBs

If not stay away from a dedi or a VPS until you have a good knowledge of system administration.

I would anyhow start with a shared hosting like for example

http://www.w3theory.com/Hosting/

And migrate from the shared hosting to something else only if you cannot continue on the shared host. You will save money in case your game is not as successful as planned, and allows to start without worrying about all the system administration.

The deal seems now way too good to be true ;)

Also, do you really know how to manage a Linux system? Apply patches and enable the basic linux firewall rules? Do you know how to make backups? At least for the DBs

If not stay away from a dedi or a VPS until you have a good knowledge of system administration.

I would anyhow start with a shared hosting like for example

http://www.w3theory.com/Hosting/

And migrate from the shared hosting to something else only if you cannot continue on the shared host. You will save money in case your game is not as successful as planned, and allows to start without worrying about all the system administration.

Im glad to know its a unbelievable deal and no but he will help as I been knowing him for 6years I did deals with him in the past.