MakeWebGames

Javascript libraries/frameworks

Dominion

So today I have been looking into Javascript libraries/frameworks as I realized I never really gave anything apart from Jquery a fair test. Since my current project is using a lot more Javascript I figure it's time I give a look into others.

I started as we all do: I used google to find new things. I ended up finding a nice list of libraries, and give a few full tests that I have previously tried along with some new ones. They included -

http://jquery.com/

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/

http://mootools.net/

There were a few others (around 6 more), however I would like to see what people say about their personal experiences/experiments, and I am hoping even more will be posted here so I may have a play at a later date.

Anyway... My main question is, what libraries/frameworks – if any – do you use, and why? What others did you try, and why did you discount them?

jQuery:

• Ease of use, availability, tutorials whilst learning, range of valuable plugins.
  • Use it for most my Ajax, JSON parsing amongst other things.

YUI:

• YQL Queries;
  • JSONp;
  • HTML5 Video.
  • I mainly use/like this due to using YQL often.

MooTools;

• This I don't really use this, although I have in the past for form validation mainly.
  • I enjoyed when I started using it, but then I found jQuery and MooTools hasn't had a look in since.

Modernizr;

• I use this library for detection of HTML5/CSS3 feature availability, found to be rather useful.

Finally, not really either but useful; HTML5shiv by Remy Sharp, very handy for HTML5 and IE.

*Note under YUI, most are modules what I use but yeah, they are my reasons :D

What do i use? - Only ever used jQuery, but heard good things about prototype too.

Why? - Well documentation, Big companies use it, well updated, and does everything I need to and more (alot more)

Others? - Not as of yet, but I am looking into expanding my knowlage very soon.

Side note, I will soon be creating my own jQuery addon, so look forward to it :)

Thanks for the feedback. I normally use raw JavaScript, this is the first full project were I feel it's worth using a library. Yes, I fall into the “Why load Jquery just to use one function” category. Anyway... I am going to look into some of the YUI modules pointed out, thanks for that Djkanna. Danny, prototype is now next on my test list. :)

I don't use js libraries as I do have really an issue with the syntax of jquery and the size of all those libraries. I don't find that those libraries improve the code readability (specially JQuery), and why load so much JS to do a few things? Sure my websites tend to contain a bit more than a couple of JS lines, but those I write I'm sure I can decrypt. For the pre-made elements JQuery offer (calendars or others), sorry but I do have all that by my own as well. So nope, overall I don't see much advantages.

@ a_bertrand – I actually agree with you. My main hope is that it will speed developmental up, and as a bonus I add extra knowledge of a Js library for later. I plan to do a “Mini project” to test it time wise: if it's slower/about the same, I will stay with doing it all with raw Javascript. readability is not bad with jquery anyway, but that's not why I am trying out libraries.

@bluegman991 – Did you try any others? Why Jquery?