MakeWebGames

Theming the items in your game

Lilith

While developing a game, I have found Items to be the largest pain in e letter word! I want to stick with a themed feel to the game, and some things fit, others just dont belong there. Say if I was to make a medieval game, I sure wouldn't include an AK or an AR15. Then there are item types ... is there a standard list of item types that apply no matter the theme?

I don't believe there are exact lists, but you can easily compare item lists for larger games and then see what kind of items they use and even copy part of the list. So for a medieval game you could check out something like Oblivion and for a war game something like COD MW2 they're all pretty accurate with their items I believe. Just don't go stealing game art from then!

I was hoping more for opinions and why such item types are useful, kinda boost up the content and theme writing part of this thread rather than looking for ideas. I do hope Dave that with my given and demonstrated art skills, as well as my biggest beef on MWG being "borrowed" artwork for games, that your stealing game art was a general information statement for all viewers. Besides, Oblivion's graphics kinda sucked their saving grace was content, and COD and MWII defiantly lend themselves toward a military type game, I married the military, im not taking into my fantasy world lmao, so I wont be using their gfx. ;)

I've already spent quite a lot of time researching the era and storyline behind my game's theme. Creating a player's equipment I didn't find too hard, at first I was concerned about the lack of data on my time specific equipment but once I introduced variations (ie Worn Shortsword, Bronze Chainmail, Iron Gauntlets, Jade Amulet) I found that the list grew to the point I was over crowding. I'm still not done Oo. Too much repitition isn't good with variations as well, so having a broad list of variations helps.

My advice would be to research your theme considerably and refine it. 'Medieval' game isn't really a good classifcation I think, considering Medieval Europe is far different theme than Medieval Africa or Asia. Once you know the era (Medieval) and location (lets say Europe) you can come with a comprehensive list based on the culture and technology of that time such as longswords, meat skewers, brick ovens, handdrawn carts, horse barding, etc.

If it's a completely new world mixed with different areas than you have so many potential items it's mind boggling o_o

As to a standard list. I wouldn't know if one existed v_v. I've fully pimped out my catagories to include everything from single handed weapons to various raw materials to mission items.

So, even with the current gaming trend of collecting every possible remote item you can, "collectibles" is on the frowned upon list? Or would it's use be just collectible, like i have a rare item and you don't.

Item Types I thought of are:

Armor ( can be grouped by the location you equip it to if you have that option): items that help defense in battle

Weapons (can be broken into categories if your game has lots of weapons or merits it): Items that help offensively in battle

tools: Items needed for quests, completing certain tasks, ect.

Food: items that increase energy, health, vitality ect.

Medical: Things that heal health, hit points, life, whatever.

Collectibles: Things to show off to your friends.

Edit: the game I work on is actually set in a completely fictional world, with little resemblance of earth, and its not technologically advanced as all items actually have to be created by the players via gathering items and gaining the skills to craft them into something usable, even food has to be cooked. Medieval was only a general reference to get people thinking in a comfortable setting. I like the idea that if you are setting your game in an actual time period that researching it as discussed by Aderik is a good idea.

Even for fictional settings I still recommend researching historical cultures and civilizations. Pretty near all fictional books you'll read has some reference to the real world and I am 100% sure you would have better results.

I'm also putting in collectables but these are rarer items. Weapons with high power and low level. Food that increases energy but decreases hunger less. They can collect em or use em, their choice.

For your list of catagories I'd tack on Raw Materials for your crafting idea, in addition to Refined Materials if your making it progressive. Splitting Raw Materials up would be Ores, Raw Food, Wood, etc. Splitting up Refined Materials could be Lumber and Metals etc. If you were to make food progressive (ie Grain > Flour > Bread) I'd put Grain in Raw Food/Material and Flour/Bread in Food for example.

Thats what Ive done, but this thread isnt about my game, I was aiming more at how to theme your item types while creating content for a game, and there is some great information so far. All to often (an im guilty on my first game) Developers jump in without a plan of what they are going to make for a game. Items get overlooked till near last, when they should be considered right after defining what kind of game you are going to build (IMO). Items play to big a part in the game not to be developed at early stage.

Any other tips or useful information on keeping the number of items/ item types adequate without going overkill?

Well in my game Nowhere Else and Beyond players can create themselves new items (setting the attributes, description and even create an image). So over time the number of items increase. On top of that, island managers (basically people which write quests but are not member staff), can ask for quests items (which could be refused).

To keep the game balance (as this is for me one of the most important thing), items are based on some formula, and you cannot create a overkill item as it will be mainly based on your own skills. So if you have not enough stats you will simply fail creating it. And to keep things fun, player items can be crafted only 20 times such that they are even rare.

• 2 weeks later...

I like what bertrand said about game balance. I am slowly working my way up from the bottom with items and paying attention to theme and formula. So at a certain city, at a certain level, players have stats and weapons and its fair game for all with weapon power and player money and player stats... in the beginning I have even silly items as defensive items.. like False Bravado as a defense... later on it might be Raging Hormones... a toilet plunger named Debra's Boyfriend is a weapon for level one to two... later it is "one mans demons" so mental illness is a weapon or a defense...

I know I sound like a dope but why does a weapon have to be a knife, gun, bomb... the theme of the game... perhaps demonic possession is a weapon and and over bearing mother is armor... hahaha.. I have met people like that..

• 2 months later...

I can see where this would be a problem. I am looking at somewhere in the area of over 2,000 different and unique items in my game. I am slowly adding them in and have at least five different spread sheets to keep track of them all in various ways. I am putting in a lot of research into a lot of areas. However, until I am happy with the balance they provide and make sure they are all proper, I will not be proceeding onto other areas of the game creation.

• 2 weeks later...

lol Trucky, 2000 items hu? men and their toys crack me up! with that many items, I would seriously consider scaling down a bit. I have found out over the last year that no matter how much you plan and add ballance to your game, once you go live, someone messes it all up for you. Thats a lot of items to allow room for error in. Start small and release expansions to your game so you get a better idea of how your audience will be playing your game, it never goes as planned. Oh, and remember Murphy's law.