MakeWebGames

Ubuntu

Redex

I've been having lots of problems with windows ( operating system ) lately, so therefore after thinking lots about it i decided to move to Linux ( Ubuntu ) after being recommended by a friend. The CD, will be arriving by post, in 2 weeks time maximum as i have ordered today. The reason why i have kept this post, is i'm waning to know from you people, how to set up wireless connection from a Netgear router from Linux ( Ubuntu ) operating system. I would also like to know, some of the things which are a must to download when using that specific version of the Linux operating system, and what are the positives of moving if there are any? The problem, i am having with Windows if any of you are wondering is, it is too slow, and i know there are many fixes to this and also, when i open my laptop and enter the password for the user it goes onto a black screen for sometime before loading explorer.exe. Please feel free to give me any other information regarding Linux ( Ubuntu ). Thanks.

Best regards: Redex.

I've been having lots of problems with windows ( operating system ) lately, so therefore after thinking lots about it i decided to move to Linux ( Ubuntu ) after being recommended by a friend. The CD, will be arriving by post, in 2 weeks time maximum as i have ordered today. The reason why i have kept this post, is i'm waning to know from you people, how to set up wireless connection from a Netgear router from Linux ( Ubuntu ) operating system. I would also like to know, some of the things which are a must to download when using that specific version of the Linux operating system, and what are the positives of moving if there are any? The problem, i am having with Windows if any of you are wondering is, it is too slow, and i know there are many fixes to this and also, when i open my laptop and enter the password for the user it goes onto a black screen for sometime before loading explorer.exe. Please feel free to give me any other information regarding Linux ( Ubuntu ). Thanks.

Best regards: Redex.

Wireless Drivers and ubuntu where never meant to be. If your Wifi card is compatible with some of the Ubuntu's generic drivers then you'll be fine. If not you'll have to use a piece of software called "ndiswrapper" which I find rather unstable and annoying. You should also check that all your current hardware (Graphics, Sound and so on) will work with Ubuntu because if not you'll have some fun searching around for various drivers.

With your windows problem I seem to remember that you are running Windows Vista... Which in itself is a virus. You could either upgrade to Windows 7 or downgrade to Windows XP either would greatly improve the speed.

Ubuntu is getting there slowly but it can still randomly crash and have multiple issue's which are pretty hard to fix with no linux experiance. Also there are not as many applications for Ubuntu but there are "replacements" for common applications.

I find it a bit weird you would let it ship to you, it takes so long. I would have just burnt it myself :p way faster and easier, and a cd doesn't cost much.

If you use the latest version of ubuntu, you shouldn't have much compatibility issues anymore. Most of the rather new harder works fine on ubuntu without having to search for a load of fixes (ubuntu 9.10 works fine on my laptop). If you happen to run into troubles with hardware issues, there is more as enough documentation online to be able to fix the issue. Ubuntu is widely spread in many communities, thus it has many problems reported, and a lot of them have been fixed as well. And I can also tell you that I still have to have a crash with ubuntu, I also hope that it won't happen too soon :p. I did have a hardware compatibility issue with a nVidia GFX card. I had to use a "restrictred" driver, but it still worked fine.

However, ubuntu isn't that fast, it's quite stable but ubuntu with gnome aren't that fast. using Xcfe as window manager might speed it up already, but I think win7 might be quicker on the interface... I don't have any data to compare though, it just feels that way.

Also there are not as many applications for Ubuntu but there are "replacements" for common applications

Also, I can tell that this isn't really true. If you search well enough you can find 5 applications that do exact the same thing is it would do on windows, except for a few, but even those will have a close opponent. Getting used to it will probably the largest change.