MakeWebGames

Auto-text users. $5 off

jon182

What is this mod?

In this modification you go to a page and insert your phone number, your carrier (drop list), and you check which boxes you want to be textd for.

you can be texted when you have in game mails. When you've been attacked, when you have a new event, when theres an announcement, when your brave bar is full, or when your energy bar is full.

What is required?

Webhost that supports emails. 5 minute cron (not a new one the one that comes with mccodes).

Wont users be texted every 5 minutes if their energy or brave is full?

No, they will not be texted more than once for their energy or brave bar until they login again.

Is this secure?

Yes. The user only ever types in 1 thing and that is their phone number.Then the file makes sure that it's numeric and that it contains 10 digits no more no less.

Wont this cost me 10 cents per messsage?

No for you it's no different than sending an email. For the player its a normal text message.

How many messages can i send per day?

that is all dependent on your hosting company.

What phone companies does this work for?

Alltel

AT&T (formerly Cingular)

Boost Mobile

Nextel (now part of Sprint Nextel)

Sprint PCS (now Sprint Nextel)

T-Mobile

Verizon

Virgin Mobile USA

it will work for those companies. More can easily be added if needed though through very minimal sql knowledge

What is included?

1 php file.

2 sql tables

2 columns added to the users table.

1 five minute cron edit

2 global_func edits

edits to the attack pages, mailbox.php staff.php and 1 line added to globals.php

What will this cost me?

The current Price is $10

To test out a demo or to buy PM me.

i didn't bother to check, dang its gonna suck if there is.

Ok i went through and checked, the only one i found seemed to be way different than what i built. That one was also insecure. Min you merely have to enter your # carrier and what you want to be texted for. Theres also no text limit.

But because of this Discount price

$10

Wouldn't this be hard on your server if you have a large user base? Especially if users want to be notified for multiple things. My understanding of how this works is that your server sends an email but it arrives to the recipient as a text message. So your server could potentially send out thousands and thousands of emails daily if you have a large user base. Which is not good in any way for your server.

Also this service wont work in the UK because most of the networks dont seem to allow services like this, Not trying to put down your modifaction just informing members.

The problem about the server getting overloaded is why not just send 50 text's every 30 minutes to make sure the server isn't getting swamped with emails, Offcourse then it wont be instant but they'd be getting it quite soon. If your site is big enough to have a large userbase though surely you would be able to afford a seperate mail server?

Anyways, Good mod jon. I can see alot of potential with this!