MakeWebGames

Yet another game engine

a_bertrand

While discussing with MDShare and others a couple of time, I started to wonder how much interest there would be if I would code a relatively simple game engine which would mimic somehow what McCode offers, for example:

- Mainly text game

- Login / register / lost password

- Some preference

- An AJAX chat

- Some actions like those works / training in McCode

- Some stats

- Some combats

- Some admin functions (like ban, stats etc...)

Text would be fully customizable, as well as the template. The code will be secure as it would be a clean new code and everybody here will be able to provide their input on it.

Now what would be also good is to have some sort of semi or full compatibility (should be checked) with the existing McCode mods, either by allowing minimum modifications, or by simply be fully compatible with them.

If I invest my time on it, how many of you would want to either participate in this project and / or use it?

What I can provide is:

- A SVN (sub version) repository for it, with open read, closed to "who need to" commit.

- The code to do those basic things as proposed above (some will of course be a reuse of what I'm already using)

- My knowledge and some of my time

This will of course work only if there is a real interest, and if there is enough people willing to work on it / with me. I'm not willing to just invest time in yet another code, without having any feedback and any sort of collaboration.

At the end, we could either go for a completely free engine, or offer a free engine + paying mods or offer a minimal free engine and then the complete engine would be a payed one. That can be discussed with the people here who are willing to invest time on it. However what I will not do is to use some sort of encryption of some files, all files will be anyhow completely visible / not encoded as the reason is the following: those willing to buy you a license would be just annoyed if some parts are not readable, and those which want to pirate your code will do so anyhow. Pirated code anyhow do provide you a free advertisement as Microsoft proved it over the time ;)

My reasons behind this:

McCode is really not something people should use as it contains way to many security problems. Also all games tends to be the same partially due to the static look, partially due to the texts which are always the same. Also, creating a new engine would help some of you to gain some knowledge, and maybe we would be able to finally switch to something a bit more fun than simply answering questions like "what can I do my website have been hacked".

Compatibility with existing MC Codes mods, I wouldn't a agreewith you doing this.

I like the idea of where your coming from, but making it compatible with MC Codes is a bad idea IMHO. If you was to do this, I wouldn't consider helping or using it. If you want to create a new game engine, do it but don't allow it to become 'part' of MC Codes.

Start fresh, be different, and don't get stuck in trying to make MC Codes mods being compatible. It's just my personal opinion but I'm 1 person..

Im already working on a project similar to this with a friend. We started last weekend and its meant to be a simple little text based game engine. Although we didn't have anything planned ajax chat wise.

(Im not talking about the epilengine that's my own project...its different then that.)

- Nobody will code for me as Zero-Affect pointed out, as I will NOT be the only owner of this project. If the team agree I would point for a solution where the engine is free and then people can charge for mods. Advantage is that it will help the wide spread of the engine, which means more potential customers for those developing mods. The license however under which the engine will be developed will not be a plain open source license, as I would like to find something which force people modifying the engine (not simply by doing mods) to post back to the engine repository the changes. By keeping the engine free, we ensure also that we will never fight about share of the engine like what if I code 1000 lines you 10000, then why the share should be 50% / 50% ? So Danny, yes you are more than welcome to join us if you want to.

- The compatibility or semi compatibility or even a tutorial to explain how to port McCode mods to this new engine would allow to have at the beginning a lot of mods for it, which would also ensure a lot more people interested in the engine. That doesn't mean the code will be like McCode, nor that we will be limited to what McCode offers. Of course this is an optional feature and honestly I'm unsure about how much it is doable.

- ishmell: if you and your friends want to join the effort you are welcome, of course you can as well wait a bit to see how things progress here and then join later. The more we are, the more fun we will have I believe.

How it will start:

- I will setup the repository (SVN) on Monday, everyone will have a read access to it, but to be able to contribute, you will need a username / password. To get one simply PM me with the wished username.

- I will start coding some of the features and base infrastructure so that you will all see what I had in mind. However if you have other ideas, once you saw how I thought it, feel free to post your ideas.

- We will need a name for the engine... of course, so please propose names, and if possible check if the according domain name is free. If yes I will register it and create the virtual host for it, such that we will have as well the hosting ready to offer all the needed things.

- I propose to create also a forum section dedicated to it here

- And once we have something, I propose to have the documentation in a wiki (which I'm willing to setup up).

So as you see, I can offer as well a lot of the needed infrastructures ;)

For those which never worked with SVN (sub version) and runs under windows you will need the following tool:

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

For the linux geek out there, SVN clients can be installed on your linux box via the normal package installation in most distribution.

A few questions I would still like to ask..

1. Will it use a framework or a templating system

• CodeIgniter, CakePHP, Smarty, jQuery, ect..

2. Procedural or OO?

3. And just out of curisoty, would there be a security file full of functions for the less able web developers?

There seems to be some confusion or maybe its just me. (been up for 25 hours now)

Is this engine going to use mccodes as a core just code rewritten or is it going to be done from scratch. If its going to be done from scratch I will gladly help out. Im both qualified with designing and programming aspects. Ill show you how the login for me and my friends engine looks. I uploaded it to my deviant art.

http://ishmell.deviantart.com/art/SWGE-Login-Interface-145849067

Maybe we can meet terms and combine the two projects to one, I know I would be interested in that. Not sure about my friend though...

- It will NOT use any McCode code. It's a brand new script with a different concept as engine.

- It will use it own template system.

- It will be mainly procedural as most of the time you don't really actually need OO in PHP nor OO is really completely usable (don't want to start any holy war here, but PHP is not at the level of Java or C# of OO)

- Due to the design I plan to use you will have a lot less risks about odd urls which give you access or things like what happens all the time to McCode. SQL injection will not be prevented if you use SQL queries directly, however I do plan to create the engine in such a way that you will not need to use SQL queries to change player stats.

- Any help is welcome, so welcome to Danny696, ishmell, Immortalthug, Gucci Mane and Agon. I started to create the directory structure and the SVN is ready, so I just need now your confirmation about it and I will send you via PM the passwords (each user will have his own password) and URL to access the repository. For "visitors" we will of course offer zip and tgz files of the engine, but for the development SVN is really a good way to work together.

Updates:

- As I didn't got any feedback about the name, I decided (at least temporary) to call it the "Zap engine".

- Purchased the domain name zapengine.com

- Created a first home page http://www.zapengine.com

- The SVN is setup and you can access it as described on the home page

- A first version of the framework is already there... with a quick home page, register and login

- The login is already secure, the password is never sent over the network

- The structure of the game engine starts to take shape and I will now populate some stuff such that we can already see some stats in action... like "energy" and "train" or whatever.

Once this is done, I will send you the password to actually submit changes to the repository, as until then, I would say it doesn't make sense that I work and modify all files and you start to modify the same files too.