MakeWebGames

Local Sever On Linux

AlabamaHit

(Viewing PHP pages and having a SQL DB on my computer (Offline) is what I'm going for)

I have just recently moved to Linux on one of my computers. And have to say I think I like it, lol...

Really I'm liking it more than windows right now. Because

1. Everything's Free

2. No blue screen so far, LOL

3. Don't have to reboot all the time cause windows running slow or freezing up..

4. Customize....WOW If you use(d) linux you know...

I'm using Linux Mint. Its (ubuntu) with extras (gnome). I'm using Compiz I think its called. It's cool...Gets old fast though.....didn't cut off but quit playing with it so much. But still crazy as heck to show off. Like (look what I can do, LMAO).

Ok, but to the reason for this post. I am so lost on this. I can't find anything on it...(That makes since to me anyway.) I have googled, and googled, and googled, and googled...just don't understand what they are saying.

I have saw on here people talk about it. I don't use windows....(on this computer)...and since I went to Linux I refuse to use WINE to run windows programs (pointless to do so to me....)

Just wondering if someone could put up a tutorial on how to set up a Apache, PHP, SQL database on a Linux Box...I think it would be a good sticky...At least I hope I'm asking for the right thing. I think I am.

Thanks for your help :mrgreen:

Re: Local Sever On Linux

I have done this and I get no where with it cuase they don't explain what is going on...Im very new to linux i dont understand all that stuff. That link is to the wrong kind of linux I am using Linux Mint (Ubuntu).....Please help.....Would be nice if someone could write up a good tutorial here I really don't want a link I'm sure I have seen them all and they ALL same the same thing like they where all copied and they just confuse me.

I have done this and I get no where with it cuase they don't explain what is going on...Im very new to linux i dont understand all that stuff. That link is to the wrong kind of linux I am using Linux Mint (Ubuntu).....Please help.....Would be nice if someone could write up a good tutorial here I really don't want a link I'm sure I have seen them all and they ALL same the same thing like they where all copied and they just confuse me.

All(most) Linux's are the same when it comes to installing LAMP.

If you cannot follow that basic walk trough, I suggest you play around in Linux a bit.

But actually, that how-to is basically just copy and paste, and using google to resolve the errors.

If you struggle while doing things, the people at ubuntuforums.org are very helpful.

You learn by experience, trail and error.

That forum would be the place to get detailed help with installing programs using linux Ubuntu

Of course, if you just use the synaptic application manager, it will install it all for you. Ubuntu really is a snap to install things when you do it using the installation managers. It's a graphical interface. No need to compile, make, makefile and all that crap.

i got everything up and going.....and that site didnt work on My version of linux...SU does nothing on this linux....but anyways i got all that...

What I am having trouble with now is....Getting my DB on my computer and makeing the pages use it...I want to basically get my game on my computer so i can test stuff without being online....Any idea on there.

Being a former Ubuntu user myself, I wish I could help you, but I'm confined to a windows machine at the moment. But I can tell you that the folks at ubuntuforums.org can help you, and I've found them to be willing to offer what seemed to me to be expert level advice.

If I had a linux machine, I'd install lamp and see how it goes, but I don't

Good luck!