MakeWebGames

NEAB Demo Site

mdshare

Re: NEAB Demo Site

maby u should do a demo site

for all versions.

You dont understand titttlemouse. The Demo is for all the versions. The point being, you can get just enough information to know what you're buying.

• 1 month later...

Quick info: the demo is running the future miniNEAB version 2.0. As this is not a fully finished version, it may contain yet some bugs. If you find some, just contact me. Thanks.

I recieved the following message when I was supposed to finish killing a monster:

<www.nowhere-else.org>

addMessage('<FONT COLOR=#00E000>HIT:</FONT> You hit the Wasp for 3 HP.

');

set_monster_hp(40,-2);

set_monster_hp(40,-2);

addMessage('The Wasp has been defeated. You WIN.

');

addMessage('The Lord has rewarded you 27 Gold as bounty for defeating this creature.

');

Warning: update_monster(quests_util.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/html/engine/demo/combat/grid_action.php on line 100

Warning: update_monster(): Failed opening 'quests_util.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear') in /var/www/html/engine/demo/combat/grid_action.php on line 100

addMessage('During the combat you gained 75 experience points.

');

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: gain_experience() in /var/www/html/engine/demo/combat/grid_action.php on line 112

Is this what we should expect in the finished product or will we have the same polished version that http://www.nowhere-else.org uses?

Well, as any software it may contains bugs. Due to the size of the project I cannot test every functions, and therefore I'm waiting a bit on the users to see if something need to be fixed or if there is some wishes. Anyhow if you check our demo game, you will see that your bug has been fixed. Thanks for reporting it.

You dont understand titttlemouse. The Demo is for all the versions. The point being, you can get just enough information to know what you're buying.

No, you don't understand.

Why would someone want to buy a product that they cant fully use on a demo, let alone full of bugs?

Before considering to purchase NEAB, I want to know how much miniNEAB included compared to their working version at http://www.nowhere-else.org/rpg/

After playing NEAB on their main site, I was interested in buying miniNEAB.

Then I played the miniNEAB demo, what a joke. Who in their right mind would pay $200 for buggy code?

All I am saying is if you want to sell more product, have a better demo.

you are missing a file called "quests_util.php". I do believe you have this file but just copy and paste it under the folder called "combat". If this does not solve it then not sure of it but it should work after that.

I think a_bertrand knows php a bit better than you ;)

No, you don't understand.

Why would someone want to buy a product that they cant fully use on a demo, let alone full of bugs?

Before considering to purchase NEAB, I want to know how much miniNEAB included compared to their working version at http://www.nowhere-else.org/rpg/

After playing NEAB on their main site, I was interested in buying miniNEAB.

Then I played the miniNEAB demo, what a joke. Who in their right mind would pay $200 for buggy code?

All I am saying is if you want to sell more product, have a better demo.

You clearly do not know what a "demo" site is do you?

It is where you test the product before selling.

I am sure a_bertrand would not sell it if it is "full of bugs".

If there is bugs in the code you won't be able to spot it even if you sit there for an hour. ;)

Well this bug has been introduced in version 2.0 due to the fact I re-organized completely the directory structure. In version 1.0, it was a flat structure more or less (like it is in my own game), and in version 2.0 every feature is in it's own directory in order to let you search the code, and add new features without the need to modify other pieces.

Now on the down side, this introduced bugs, and if nobody complain or report them, I simply cannot spot them. However I'm here to fix anything reported as fast as possible.

For the difference between my own game and the game engine: indeed there is a huge difference, also due to the fact some pieces of code cannot be run unless you have a dedicated server, and this is why I do not provide them in the miniNEAB. Also in the real game, nearly every player can create quests, and this is not normally something you guys want, and therefore it's disabled. Anyhow, if some of you are interested in a feature found in my game, I'm willing to discuss it, and maybe add it for free in the engine.

It sounds to me that you have never tested your minineab or anyother one. You said there are no bug but thats bull. Why dont you test it before saying

"O there are no bugs,"'

If everyone is finding bugs then there are bugs so stop lying and fix them. After message them back and send them the new file.

Also no one wants to buy a buggy game that they need to do hours of coding on. The reason people bye it was so they had a game that never need fixing. Guess we all got our hope up too soon.

Never tested?

Nowhere Else and Beyond offers also a demo of this great engine which can be found at the following url

http://www.nowhere-else.org/engine/demo

And you do not even know how to code, neither spell.

And the "bugs" part, Where did he say it is full of bugs?

He said it may contain bugs as with any software.

Now run along..

It sounds to me that you have never tested your minineab or anyother one. You said there are no bug but thats bull. Why dont you test it before saying

"O there are no bugs,"'

If everyone is finding bugs then there are bugs so stop lying and fix them. After message them back and send them the new file.

Also no one wants to buy a buggy game that they need to do hours of coding on. The reason people bye it was so they had a game that never need fixing. Guess we all got our hope up too soon.

That's good, DeathStar. Personal attacks show everyone how mature you really are.

Lets take a look at the grammar from one of your previous posts...

If there is bugs in the code you won't be able to spot it even if you sit there for an hour.

Yeah. If you have nothing to contribute aside from flaming people, please don't post in this thread.

a_bertrand, you seem to have skipped a question that both deathknight90 and I posted so I will post it again in the event you somehow missed it. twice.

How close is the sale product compared to the public game at http://www.nowhere-else.org/rpg/ ?

Potential clients need to know information like this. Professional software companies offer full version demos so the end user knows exactly what they are purchasing.

It appears to me that by avoiding the question two times, you are instead trying to scam people out of money by selling a sub-par version.

IMO, anyone who doesnt understand what a_bertrand is saying should simply not buy the game. If I were him, I wouldnt even sell it to you as you just dont get it.

This game is HUGE and yes there is going to be a bug here or there. The shear size of the code allows for this. If you want a game of this nature, and want it 100% bug free, you're going to be payinf $1000+.

Two more things. 1. In my experience, any bug that is discovered will be patched with 24 hours. 2. On a side note, this isn't Mc Codes. It will take a lot of time to setup a full game. Be prepared to work for success or you're going to be disappointed.

IMO, anyone who doesnt understand what a_bertrand is saying should simply not buy the game. If I were him, I wouldnt even sell it to you as you just dont get it.

I obviously don't get it. Here is where I make threats to make my own editors and add in all the bells and whistles to increase my epeen. The point is, I would prefer to support those who have worked on a project rather than steal from them. Maybe this thread will also give a future customer the information he needed before commiting to purchasing the product. I am not here to make the game look bad.

Some background to my initial post... After downloading the game and setting it up I decided to test the demo version on the site with big hopes. I saw the package that was offered and knew this is what I was looking for. Well, with a few modification to it anyways, heh. Well, I was let down and figured this was another fly by night company trying to make a quick buck then dissapear into the night.

If you want a game of this nature, and want it 100% bug free, you're going to be payinf $1000+.

If you were to hire someone to code it for you, maybe. Premade? Not a chance. They would ask $1000 and make no sales, promting someone else to code an inexpensive alternate version and profit from it.

Two more things. 1. In my experience, any bug that is discovered will be patched with 24 hours. 2. On a side note, this isn't Mc Codes. It will take a lot of time to setup a full game. Be prepared to work for success or you're going to be disappointed.

I am not questioning bugs being patched, that was addressed. I already have the game setup on my personal computer and aside from parts he obviously removed it works beautifully.

The question arose when the demo on the site was supposedly a newer full version and I ran into a bug. Maybe I misunderstood that? Looking back at it, he obviously hasn't updated that version to the current version. He might want to update it so people can view what they are buying compared to the main, online game. I just want my question answered, it isn't a difficult one to answer. How close is the sale product compared to the public game at http://www.nowhere-else.org/rpg/ ?

A responce of "exactly like the public version, aside from this mod and this mod" will suffice.

Anyone who spends that much money on a code without knowing all the details should have their head examined.

Maybe you do not read my answer... Anyhow I'm writing it back:

miniNEAB is NOT the same as the full game I'm running myself, this is a quick list of features which are not yet in the miniNEAB:

- Pets

- Player vs player battles

- All mini games (mine concessions, grave cleaning game, connecting door, Enigmatus games etc..)

- Java 2D / 2.5D engine

- Player managed islands

- Player home pages

- Player blog

- Special game client

Things which are in the miniNEAB which are NOT in the main game:

- Better organized code

- Commented code

- Code documentation

- Modular design (let you create new location types without the need to modify the administration tools)

Things which will come in a near future:

- Template system which will let you change the look & fell of the game without modifying the code.

Now, some of those features can be added easily, some others are more problematic. For example the Java client can be added, BUT giving the possibility for the players to see each others requires to run a special server / software running on your server. This means it will work only for those which run their site on a VPS or a dedicated server. Pets, PvP and some of the mini games should be not a big deal to port to the miniNEAB.

As I said, if an owner of the mini version ask for some of the "missing" feature, I'm willing to discuss about adding them, even for free. As and example of this, I added 2 new locations FOR FREE in the mini package, after one of my customer purchased the engine.

BTW I'm not selling a "install and run a game" package. It's a RPG ENGINE, which means, you will have to create your story / maps / monsters and this requires a lot of time. So, if you expect to spend the 200$ and be able to accept players tomorrow, maybe you should check for something else. I don't sell my own quests / maps, as it would be a non sense for me to replicate the exact content of my game.

Finally, all the upgrades are free, which means, if you buy a miniNEAB you will be able to download all the newer versions of it for free (unless you break the contract like the guy which was wanting to sell my engine as it's own).

Now if I still didn't answered one or more questions let me know.

(unless you break the contract like the guy which was wanting to sell my engine as it's own).

First of all I do know how to code and also if you break the contract then you will not give any of the upgrades away to that person. Well the only way you can do that is to cancel the contract. And if you cancel the contract then Yes you will not have to give him any upgrade but that person may then sell it due for the fact the contract is over. So now he may resell it if you break that contract. If you don't believe me talk to your lawyer. I already asked mine about this and he said that that guy may resell it now. So Im going to contact him and let him know. And I just might buy it off him.

Reselling your own version is fine, that means, if you buy a copy and then sell the copy and don't use it anymore it's not a problem for me. The problem rise when somebody buy one copy and start resell multiple copies of the engine. I don't need to ask any lawyer (beside I already did it), it's simply fall under copyright simple issues here. And breaking the "upgrade" contract doesn't mean you don't have troubles with copyright issues.

Now, for the current problem I had, the person bought a "micro" version, which is a reduced version of the mini. And have a version 1.0 not a 2.0, which is way not the same, so, if you purchase a copy to him (he was selling at 170$ something he bought 50$ from me), you will first loose money, and you will be illegal.

BTW Breaking the contract doesn't mean you will not have legal issues with me, it simply means you will not get any free upgrades... and just to let you know, I will also not sell anymore software to this person too.

Guest Anonymous

Alain didnt break contract the person who bought his engine then tried to resell it as his own did. Alain is under no legal obligation after that to continue to offer him upgrades, and can take legal action against him if he so wishes.

Buying something from someone to try and pass it off as your own is pretty low, and that you would condone and promote that behavior says much about your character.

Alain is not some young kid trying to pretend he can code, coding is his job. He's worked hard on this engine. When he released version 2 he tried to re-organize everything to make it easier for someone new to come and use the engine. Of course moving files may cause small hiccups. As for testing it ...it hasnt been all that long since he released it...he doesnt use it himself, so yea possibly he may miss some issues. Hes willing to fix them tho, once reported.

As for the difference , why the heck would he cut his own throat and resell an exact version of his game...this is the basic ENGINE his runs off...its up to you who purchase it to decide what it will become.

Owning a game is ALOT of hardwork...if you cannot code its gonna cost you a pretty penny if you arent willing to work or pay others to work on it, I honestly dont know why you would even start a game. Its more then slapping some code on a server...you owe your players much more then that.