MakeWebGames

Clock that counts up Help

SwiftGameR

Hey all been a while since i have posted anything on here but have been working on a personal project for my game on GL Engine, I am going to be using it as a turn based game please see below for more info.

Day 01 - 00:00

Every day the clock advances 1 minute every 14-15 seconds the timer will move up 1 minute to look like 00:01 until it hits 24:59 once it resets back at 00:00 Day 1 changes to Day 2

I have this working increasing the 00:00 by 01 but problem is i cant get it to stop and reset at 23:59 back to day 2 00:00 code below.

<script>
			var minutesLabel = document.getElementById("minutes");
			var hoursLabel = document.getElementById("hours");
			var totalSeconds = 0;
			setInterval(setTime, 10); // set to 10 to make it into a timer to test if stop at 24:59 and reset to 00:00

function setTime() {
				++totalSeconds;
				minutesLabel.innerHTML = pad(parseInt(totalSeconds % 60));
				hoursLabel.innerHTML = pad(parseInt(totalSeconds / 60));
			}

function pad(val) {
				var valString = val + "";
				if (valString.length < 2) {
					return "0" + valString;
				} else {
					return valString;
				}
			}
		</script>

and the html is just to labels with 00

<label id="minutes">00</label>:<label id="seconds">00</label>

Am i safe to assume that if i change the setintval function to 14000 which if my coding aint to rusty then that should increase the labels :01 every 14 seconds (confirmed by testing)

any help would be appreciated thanks

Steven (SmartWeb Productions)

21 hours ago, gamble said:

So if I'm reading this right (I'm on mobile so might not be)

Can't you just add an if after the ++totalSeconds line?

So add

if(totalSecond/60 == 24){//new day 🙂

totalSeconds= 0;

}

I did try add a if statement but with no luck im in no rush to get it working from what i read and learning i know it can be done being honest i would proberly be easier using the date H:HH which formats the day into 24 hour format but can i manipulate it to do what i need i dunno. 

i will do more testing with some if statements like you said i know im close lol thanks for replyin

due to the pad function its counting the length of the string and only reseting when its greater than 2 characters long but i need it to stop at 23:59 but yeah ill keep at it trial and error 

45 minutes ago, SwiftGameR said:

I did try add a if statement but with no luck im in no rush to get it working from what i read and learning i know it can be done being honest i would proberly be easier using the date H:HH which formats the day into 24 hour format but can i manipulate it to do what i need i dunno. 

i will do more testing with some if statements like you said i know im close lol thanks for replyin

due to the pad function its counting the length of the string and only reseting when its greater than 2 characters long but i need it to stop at 23:59 but yeah ill keep at it trial and error 

I'm not sure why it's not working...he's a codepen that shows my suggested fix does work:

https://codepen.io/gambleDev/pen/MWqwRJY

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 9:22 PM, gamble said:

I'm not sure why it's not working...he's a codepen that shows my suggested fix does work:

https://codepen.io/gambleDev/pen/MWqwRJY

Weird i must have wrote my if function wrong thanks so much gamble exactly works how i needed 🙂

@gamble Hey sorry to bother you after you already fixed my issue i was hoping to apply simliar logic to the code so the days would update by 1 but stupid me got the maths wrong 

quicker posting code lol

<label id="days">Day: 1</label> <label id="hours">00</label>:<label id="minutes">00</label><br />
		<script>
			let daysLabel = document.getElementById("days");
			let minutesLabel = document.getElementById("minutes");
			let hoursLabel = document.getElementById("hours");
			let totalSeconds = 0;
			let dayUpdate = 1;
			setInterval(setTime, 10);

function setTime() {
				++totalSeconds;
				if (totalSeconds / 60 == 24) {
					++dayUpdate;
					totalSeconds = 0;
				}
				minutesLabel.innerHTML = pad(parseInt(totalSeconds % 60));
				hoursLabel.innerHTML = pad(parseInt(totalSeconds / 60));
				// {issue is here}daysLabel.innerHTML = pad(parseInt(totalSeconds * 3600 * 24));
			}

function pad(val) {
				let valString = val + "";
				if (valString.length < 2) {
					return "0" + valString
				}
				return valString
			}

Edited by SwiftGameR
added html tags into js :/
  • Like 1