MakeWebGames

Idle Hands >> New Game Dev?

Luckless

Hi there!

I'm Luckless. Some of you may recognize me as a player in one or more of your web games. I've enjoyed PBBGs since I first started playing my first galatium.net roughly 18 years ago. I still play various PBBGs and decided I'd like to try my hand at it myself. I have some experience programming as a hobbyist Python programmer. I have a TON of extra time on my hands for the next 3 or 4 months or so. At first I was playing a crap ton of a wide variety of games, watching movies and otherwise wasting my time. That got old fast though and I'm currently learning the big three of web development: HTML, CSS and Javascript. I don't currently have a website or even a working prototype, but found your MWG and thought I'd introduce myself as I begin my journey.

I will eventually make posts asking for advice on a wide variety of things, I'm sure. At this point I'm not trying to make my 'dream game'. I'm setting much smaller mile-stones and goal posts. Eventually, one of those goals would be implementing parts or pieces of what would make up some of the more common pbbgs. First is making simple web-pages that work the way I intend. Trial and error!

One thing that I can ask now is what type of web host and roughly how much do you spend on hosting services per month to run your web game(s)? I saw that MWG has their own web host service, and it is one that I will keep in mind when I need to start paying for a web server. But while I am curious who you're using, I'm more interested in how much storage space, bandwidth, and other host specific stats so I can get a good idea of where I should start if I happen to get a game up and running.

Looking forward to your responses.

You won’t need anything too big to start off with. Tbh you can run a text based game with 1GB storage 100mb ram on a shared cpu. Granted it won’t allow 100 people online t once but it’s more then enough to get a game off the ground and running.

To give a better estimation we would need to know more about the game. But if I were you I would be going out and buying VPS/dedicated servers just yet.