MakeWebGames

Game with no name - online browser RPG

max3009

Hi,

I have created my own 2D game engine using HTML5 Canvas + JavaScript(Node.js). Apart from the node infrastructure and graphics, I have built this from scratch.

It is still in development, therefore I cant provide a direct link for you to play, but I have a quick youtube video to highlight my game and the map editor.

I am not very good at video editing so its just a quick showcase of running around the map, creatures following and attacking, spells, logging in and out, changing the map and reloading, and NPCS. The graphics are ripped from another game I used to play, obviously I will be replacing these with my own eventually. I just needed something fast to test with. I am self taught and this is my first major scale game that I am attempting, but so far so good.

Please take a look at my channel and if you have any comments, feel free to post.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfTiD1IpXjuQxtZFN_N1tsA

Thanks,

Max

746424482_ScreenShot2019-01-20at18_11_24.thumb.png.387c960e657655da5162b95df18584aa.png

1497163620_ScreenShot2019-03-13at00_03_39.thumb.png.5474d1ec4082bb86f26dccdddbf25cb1.png

Edited by max3009

I'm liking it so far! Have to give you props, building something like this takes quite a lot of work.

Just a couple of comments I noticed while watching the videos:

1. In your conversation with "Captain", you were typing out what I'm assuming were key phrases in chat in order to work with the NPC. What is your plan for making sure that the user knows what those commands are?
  2. I noticed when you were using what I'm guessing are spells, the entire game lags quite a bit. How do you plan on cleaning that up?
  3. During your attack sequence, I was having a hard time splitting up between the levels of the building in the map. I'm hoping that using your own graphics will clean that up, so this might be a moot point, but something to consider.

Like I said, this takes a lot of work to do, and for a game at this scale, you've done a good job so far. Keep it going, and I'm looking forward to giving it a try once it is available.

~G7470

• Like 1

Hey G7470,

Thanks for taking time and providing some constructive criticism! Its exactly what I need! Yes, I have found out the hard way that this is very very time consuming. To tell you the truth, creating the map just for testing is tiresome. Im current planning on creating brushes for my map editor which will reduce repetitive tasks like borders etc.

To answer your questions:

1) I plan on making the keywords a different colour in order to differentiate keywords from normal text. I could also make them clickable too!

2) I assure you the lag does not exist! It is just Quicktime on a very old macbook that makes it look like it is lagging, the game is also running 60fps, the video only 30.

3) I completely understand what you are saying. I could possibly add a faint gradient for each level which should make them stand out visually. Maybe a 5% black overlay or something.

Again, thank you for your time and I hope I have answered your questions.

Max

Just redesigning my map editor. Adding sprite data support so I can manage all the game data in one app. Redesigning the UI for better management and efficiency. Big task is saving to all data files in one operation, some files are shared between client and server, some client only and some server only. Node requires module exports so the start of the files need to be different. Backups already done so now the tricky part!

Features will include auto-borders and brushes, tile stack reordering/deletion, stack evaluating (getting rid of unwanted tiles, such as a stack that doesn't need to be drawn), creature and NPC spawns, tile UID's for game interactions (scripts executed for a given tile.object with matching UID), sprite data editing (blockable, climbable and other data), and much more to come!

1497163620_ScreenShot2019-03-13at00_03_39.thumb.png.5474d1ec4082bb86f26dccdddbf25cb1.png

• Like 1