MakeWebGames

proper/good way on creating web based mmorpg database design

good daw mwg, well i'm not really good in english grammar so i'll just get to the point immediately and just enumerate my questions..

1. is there any good/proper way on designing web based mmorpg databases?
  2. is it good to use relational database design (rdd) for web based mmorpg?
  3. do you think famous mmorpg web games like torn or tribal wars uses rdd?
  4. if there are some realtime mechanisms in a game like, realtime combat system where 2 players attack each other and wait for turns, is it good to transact with the database for each action?
  5. do you use cookies, sessions or any 3rd party storage before saving it to the database?

thank you so much mwg, have a nice day :)

1. There are good/proper ways to design web based mmorpg databases; however, that could very well be limited based upon your budget and time. In my opinion, the more time you spend analyzing what you want to be able to do in your game, including any possible modifications, feature additions, etc, the better off you will be. With a solid database foundation, you will have a much easier time accessing the data that you need to run your game properly. This is something I feel that many web games are lacking.
  2. RDD I believe is a good strategy to go down for these type of games. This type of design (done properly) will give you a great database foundation to expand upon in the future.
  3. I believe these games are using a form of RDD; however, their implementation is probably not up to par. They are probably not following all of the good practices, including normalization, that you should be doing in RDD.
  4. If your database is designed in a way that is normalized properly, database interaction in real-time may not be so bad; however, like anything else, there are some limitations. If you need to update the database constantly in real-time, then you should probably utilize cookies or the user's session to store said information until a database update is needed to store said data.
  5. As mentioned in #4, if real-time updates are needed constantly, then these should be utilized to store necessary information until the time is allocated to update the database appropriately.

• Like 1