MakeWebGames

Chaos Era - WIP

Coly010

I've wanted a side project for a while, and this game has been planned for a while but I haven't quite got round to developing it completely yet. It isn't finished or close to being finished but I'd like to hear some feedback and criticisms on it.

logobk2.png

A fantasy themed Text-Based MMORPG built using my own custom engine.

Story

In the continent of Athrén Diar, there are two countries, Terrakesh and Raiti. These ancient lands are populated with all the races of Mullinvoid. In the past, all people lived in harmony, supporting each other when they needed it. Carickésh destroyed this.

Carickésh was a Drow Lord, popular among radicals within the Drow community. He gathered a band of supporters, the Draknai, with the sole purpose of taking over as much of Athrén Diar as they could hoping to join the four kingdoms Yymak, Zwardi, Shorvast and Lumbrava into one, the Kingdom of Draknik.

The Draknai scavenged the country, reeking bloodshed and devastation wherever they went, massacring any living person standing in their path. People, out of fear, joined the Draknai but before long a resistance group started to form, consisting of those who were not prepared to be driven into the ground by Carickésh and his followers. They named it the Rigyuiti.

Soon the races of Athrén Diar were split between the Draknai and the Rigyuiti. The Drow, the Wraith and the Troll formed the Draknai whereas the Dryad, the Human and the Dwarf all made up the Rigyuiti. The two sides are in a constant battle for control, with battles being both organised and occurring spontaneously, forming a time of suffering, death and misery. This period of time soon came to be known as the Chaos Era!

The story and the game are linked. Therefore the game has a continent, Athrén Dai, Two countries, Terrakesh and Raiti. Terrakesh has two kingdoms, Yymak and Zwardi, ruled by the Rigyuiti and Draknai respectively. Raiti also has two kingdoms, Shorvast and Lumbrava, ruled by the Rigyuiti and Draknai respectively.

Features

Currency - Credits : General game use

Mythril

Nuggets

Faction/Political system - links the Rigyuiti and Draknai storyline, organised battles and sporadic ones all count towards an overall faction influence in each town/country/Kingdom. This depicts what faction rules the town/country/kingdom. Once one faction becomes the new dominant force, an election takes place amongst that faction to vote for the ruler of that place. This person can then set taxes on money, and the community mine, if the town has one.

Fully fledged crafting system utilising 14 different ores.

Ores can be obtained from mining. Can mine either clan mines, faction mine, or community mine.

Community mine needs to be petitioned for by the players in a town, which the ruler then agrees to or disagrees to.

The community mine gets upgraded by the players in that town, by donating money to it. They choose the type of mine it will be, gems, nuggets, mythril or ores.

Gems - emeralds sapphires and rubies. Used to upgrade weapons.

Races - Human

Dwarf

Dryad

Drow

Troll

Classes - Archer

Warrior

Cleric

Blacksmith

Mage

Fisherman

Miner

Faction wars - counts towards overall influence in the continent.

Clans - Clan Armoury

Clan mine

Clan wars

Other small benefits, help from other members of the game etc

Travelling - travel oceans and countryside. Oceans requires boats, and takes you from country to country. Countryside doesn't require anything. Takes you from city to city.

Attack system

Fishing system, a way to make money.

Markets to trade

Npc Arenas

Banking system, including a loaning system

Real Estate system : can buy as many houses as you can afford and then can be rented out to other users. Houses increase inventory size. (A player realistically can't carry 10000 swords in his pocket)

Mail system

Notifications

Chat

Forums

Statistics

Questing System - some will be related to the storyline called the Adventure Quests. The others will be side quests to keep players occupied.

Some gambling games. Weekly lottery.

Shops to buy items and trade.

Skills and Stats : a range of skills such as woodcutting, blacksmithing and fishing, all of which affect how good you are at each. Stats such as strength and agility used for battling

Levelling system

Leaderboards

And more features yet to be fully planned!

logobk.png.ffae18402cc481c251d28e6f3569ae46.png

Edited by Coly010

Nice, clean layout. Simplistic interface yet has its complexities. Very well done. :)

Do you have any set idea of the bonuses/differences between the different races/classes?

~G7470

Thanks for the feeback :)

I do indeed, have it all planned out and have tried to both have appropriate class options for each race, (i.e not all classes are available to each race) and try to balance it as well. So if a troll was to get extra strength, then it cant be a warrior because it would receive another strength boost, making it slightly OP, and even more OP as the user upgrades their race level.

I think I have it balanced, but I'll only know for sure once it goes into alpha testing :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the game:

I have completed the bank, investment bank, shops, inventory, attack, blacksmith and countryside files.

Bank - obviously a place to store your money so attackers can't take it. There's a 2% tax on deposits, free to withdraw, everyday your money in the bank earns a 2% interest.

Investment Bank - put your money in the investment bank and let it earn a higher interest rate depending on the length of time you have it there. Once you choose a length of time for your money you can't access it until after that time.

Shops - game owned shops, where you can get the everyday items and weapons/armour in the game.

Inventory - place where you can see what items you have, you equip your weapon and armour here. You have one weapon equipped at one time but up to 4 pieces of armour - helm, chest piece, leggings , boots

Attack - custom made attack script, uses users agility and strength to determine certain features of the battle, dodge, miss, critical hits and damage dealt.

Blacksmith - here you can use gems you find in the game, along with your money, to upgrade your weapons/armours. Sapphires upgrade weapons minimum damage, emeralds upgrade weapons max damage, rubies upgrade armours defence. There are 5 sizes of gems : shards, normal, large, extra large, master. Each give a different upgrade. Eg shards +1 , normal +2, large +5, xlarge +10, master +15; it requires a lot of gems to be able to upgrade so it's mid game ish, not really something I'd expect people at the start to be able to do

Countryside - a way to travel between the different towns. As there are 2 countries, if you are in one country when travelling through the countryside then you won't see towns from a different country. When travelling through the countryside you can find ores, mythril, nuggets, gems, money, or be attacked by an npc. It can be a generic npc or one specific to that country.

Thought I should keep you all updated, it's currently being tested locally as I code the files so there isn't a live demo as of yet, but hopefully there should be one not too far down the line.

Edited by Coly010

• 1 month later...

Just posting another update.

I've decided to refactor my code. I've gone away from a straight procedural system to an OOP Modular system. It'll make it much easier to add mods, create mods, control once ones are active etc. completion time may be affected but the benefits of it should be great