MakeWebGames

How would I do this?

bloodless2010

Okay so I'm making a game like Tribal Wars/Travian, I can do most of the stuff just one thing I'm not sure where to begin! If you have played the games I'm on about you will get what I mean, the game has a 'map' this map is graphical and has coordinates and you can see the other villages on it. I'm not quite sure the best way to do this, but if you have played tribal wars, Travian of nearly any village building strategy game (including Devana) you will know what I mean. I knows Devana is open source but last time I checked it was really hard for me to read as I dog know my way around their source. Thank you guys!

I'm making a game LIKE it, I'm not using a nulled version of Travian. It wouldn't have what I need there.

Would it not be better to learn the language its coded in, instead of their source?

I already know PHP.

I think what bloodless2010 means is that the source code for Devana is extremely hard to read, due to to being written a bit compactly and not having any comments at all.

Yes this is what I mean.

If you really like Devana you can try to work around the problems (I know there is alot of problemas there, I know Devana a few years now) and try to improve the code yourself.

Or you could try and create your own engine, which I think would be good for you to learn better and new things.

I don't know which would take more time to do, beucase as I said Devana is really messy and hard to understand and thats worse if you are new to PHP and programming.

I have tried to improve Devana sometime ago, but the creator don't want help from anyone and denied everything I sent to him (he doesn't use SVN, Git or anything like that). Then I just moved on to other things. You can take a look on what I did on the link https://github.com/Fernando-Marquardt/feudo-engine/tree/devana-fork

I quite don't remember if everythings is working there.