MakeWebGames

Housing System Idea's

SRB

So, I seen the thread by Razor and thought about a system for housing I built before and figured maybe someone could write it and make themselves some monies.

----------------------------------------------------

I made one ages ago, but no idea where the hell it went!

It pretty much summed up to requiring 3 materials; wood, brick and slate.

Search

To get them, you would have to find the slate in a search file (Navigate through with arrows - not just click link)

Each "step" would cost 5 energy, with the success rate to find anything being around 10%, so a lot of energy to get your parts.

The table for storing the search was pretty basic as I ran it one a 20 by 20 grid (400 spots);

TABLE `material_search`
   - amount

The amount was there because when found, the code automatically moved it, but I didn't stop "stacking", so if you go there, you get one, take a step left, then right and you could get a second until they were gone.

Market

The market was simple - you could list materials you own for sale.

House List

The list would list houses, how much of each material you needed, how many "hours" to build, the cost of equipment hire to build and how much "will" was recieved.

** See Building for the hours explained.

TABLE `houses`
   - id
   - name
   - will
   - wood
   - brick
   - slate
   - cost
   - hours

Building

Once building was started (Takes all materials and costs), you then had to click to build with a few criteria;

* You can only click once within an hour (Think timestamps to ensure an hour)

* My game had 8 hour work days, so maximum 8 hours a day could be taken from your build time

* Each click takes 10 energy to perform an hours work.

Database, something along the lines of

TABLE `house_build`
   - id
   - user
   - house
   - hours
   - last
   - today

I actually used a difference database structure, where every build entered a row with time. This allowed me better flexibility, but if you don't plan to change a lot, you can do the above with similar results.

Some Calculations

So, let's assume that you need 100 wood, 100 brick, 100 slate, costs $200,000 to hire equipment and takes 120 hours.

Your final calculations will look like;

Wood, Brick and Slate

With 10% success, potentially up to 1000 energy per material type (3,000 total)

Build Time (Energy)

Hours * 10 for build time. (1200 total)

Money

$200,000

Benefits to a system like this?

* You actually have to work for your propery and for once, activity is the key (Unless game rich!)

* New players have a way to make money by selling materials for people not wishing to bother searching and just buy.

* Players have to think about a tactic as they have to weigh up gym gains vs energy to build - resulting in differing strategies

* Rental would be worthwhile and benefitial to the people who put the time in - make money