MakeWebGames

Thoughts on a Mafia Game?

Jmancuso

hey, i've been wanting to build a text based mafia game with one feature i'd like to get your opinions on. I have no doubt that i can easily build it, i just dont want to dive into another 2 year project with 1 coder, me. I'll start building when i have a good team together. Anyways, ive been wanting to build a mafia game for a while now but at the same time ive always been a huge fan of conquering type strategy games.

That being said, i was thinking of creating a game where people can conquer real territory being entirely 100% player driven. This is how it will work:

(again, im not trying to make ridiculously hard concepts that i cant code myself.)

Players will start out in a township in a given county in New York. They will start to buy businesses/extort business throughout the township. Players will then join/create families. When the players within a family control the majority of businesses throughout the township, on the map, it will show that they're family control that township. Owning certain townships will give the family a certain bonus. These bonuses will promote competition. When a family owns more than half of the townships, they will control the county. Families will then fight to take over county after county.

Families can enact war over a county. Players will fight Player vs Player to conquer eachother. None of this buying 3000 body guards to kill people. When a player is killed, they will lose all of their weapons, business will go for 30% of their market value (this is so conquering families can take over the county) and their account will be paralyzed for 5-7 days. enough for the conquering family to take over.

Games have more strategy when you have more to lose.

i can go on and on but ive never actually seen a text-based game go into this kind of strategy game play. Was wondering what you guys think about it? i've you would play a game like this let me know, ill add it to my stuff to do.

if you would even wanna help me code it then let me know too. maybe we can open up a new project.

Edited by Jmancuso

I don't believe much in team project for such kind of games. Why? Because most of the time teams start then they split due to divergence of ideas or some people inside the team don't do much or scam other members. Also your project is not all that innovative, so why somebody would want to join you for it? Personally, if I was you, and I was really interested to do it, I would do it my own, and if somebody wanted to join at some point carefully think about it.

If you want to team use bitbuket or git hub make a repo add developers to it that way you can be in total control developers can see what you have done you can see what they done make mistakes can easily revert them back to revision you want you can branch off and do other things then merge that branch with is master if you lthink its all good.

also installing git on a vps mean you can pull dicrectly from your repo to your server saving having to ftp over and over