MakeWebGames

Time or Energy based?

Hey,

Just wanting peoples opinions on the matter, do you prefer time based, so you can commit actions after every x seconds/minutes or will based like MCC how it regenerates after a while and you can recommit the actions then?

It depends on the action, I prefer a combination of both.

Things that would require a stat to complete, say training your character it makes perfect sense to use it as a stat based action that the stat regenerates after a while.

Then you have lets say a job within the game, this really should be a time based action, you go to your job once a day, you wait till the next day before going again.

Then there is things like crimes, which in my opinion should be a mixture of both, committing a crime should deduce some regenerative stat, but also should have a cooldown period before being able to commit another crime.

So yeah it probably depends on the action, having everything rely solely on a regenerative stat, or having everything rely solely on time doesn't make sense logically to me.

I agree. The most important thing is that it's exponential. Being in level 20 shouldn't be as being in level one. And remember, waiting sucks.

Care to elaborate a little more? On the level 20 mention?

As long as it makes sense within the context of the game itself I don't have a preference. If we're talking about your upcoming engine (and I assume it's what you're asking about?) then you should have the framework as open as possible so you can adopt either system.

If you want something by default already installed a mixed system would be best as DJK said. It would give the developer the option to use one (time it, and maybe require x stat to make a move) or none. You have to be careful to ensure whatever you put in place isn't genre specific.