MakeWebGames

My recent experience with count

Hello MWG,

This is just a warning for you all!!!

Im sure most of you have seen this guy around, but recently he asked me to make a couple mods for him for his game. So to make a long story short just look out for this guy

and think about doing any business with him because his terms are pretty whack in my opinion.

He wants all work upfront before he pays anything cause he is "worried" about getting scammed. I figured I was being nice and was going to start work without an initial deposit

of funds but once I laid out the terms basically:

1. I'll start work with no money upfront
  2. It will take me a few days to compete one of the mods
  3. Upon completion I will let him know
  4. I will give him my paypal addy to send money as goods/services
  5. When I recieve payment I will send him the files

I told him that when I was done I will let him know when I am ready to send the files so that way the time between money sent and files sent would be ~2 minutes of each other.

And I explained to him that sending it via goods and services we are both backed my paypal in case any issues may arise with the transaction.

Thats about it, and thankfully I didnt start work so no parties were scammed in any way but just be warned if he requests anything that it will most likely be a waste of time because

he must receive files before payment smh.....

If I have never worked with someone before, and had no recommendations from others about the freelancer I was dealing with then I would probably expect to see something before putting any sizable amount of money down as well.

As for paypal's protection (https://cms.paypal.com/al/cgi-bin/?&cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full) -

7.6 Digital Goods Micropayment Disputes and Claims. Digital Goods are generally not eligible for coverage. However, if you file a Dispute for a Digital Goods purchase of up to the amounts in the table below, PayPal may, at its sole discretion, refund the transaction without requiring you to escalate the Dispute to a Claim.

In this case it's more then possible he has simply been scammed in the past.

I used to have similar terms as he did but i needed to see a fully working demo before payment is made then files after payments as it is near impossible to get a refund on digital goods via PayPal unless you make a chargeback via credit card, just remember that scamming can work both ways either buyer can scam or seller can scam.

If I have never worked with someone before, and had no recommendations from others about the freelancer I was dealing with then I would probably expect to see something before putting any sizable amount of money down as well.

As for paypal's protection (https://cms.paypal.com/al/cgi-bin/?&cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full) -

In this case it's more then possible he has simply been scammed in the past.

I hear what you guys are saying and yes Dominion it was going to be a bit more than $3.99 USD and thanks for pointing that out cause the amount that I was going to charge for the few mods would have been around $15 so I could have maybe gotten away with the 3.99 upfront

I used to have similar terms as he did but i needed to see a fully working demo before payment is made then files after payments as it is near impossible to get a refund on digital goods via PayPal unless you make a chargeback via credit card, just remember that scamming can work both ways either buyer can scam or seller can scam.

Well I need to see a small payment upfront in order to get you that working demo. Why on earth would I want to start work on something with someone I have never done business with and no promise of a payment? At least with a small payment the buyer is kind of locked into the deal. And some of it isnt even about me getting scammed, its about me getting the job done and

they buyer saying something like "Well, I dont want it anymore" or "Awww dude, sorry but Im completely broke till next month so I cant buy it anymore". See its things like that, that worry me as well.