MakeWebGames

Ship Sailed?

JimiBrews

I'm just wondering if there is still a market for "energy based" games? Games based off of engines like MCCODEs that are all basically text games featuring energy, will and such. I use to see tons of them from every theme from mafia to pirates but not so much anymore.

I ask because I have a legally purchased copy of MCCODE v2 but I never bothered having it fixed or secured and made into a game. (When I first bought it I was under the assumpttion it worked out of the box and it obviously falls way short of that assumption.) Anyhow, I'm not the best at PHP so i would have to pay to have all this done. Is MCCODEs or any of these engines viable anymore and worth the time and or money to develop?

To me, a successful game would be one that could bring in a couple hundred USD a month consistantly.

Thanks!

JimiB

I'm just wondering if there is still a market for "energy based" games? Games based off of engines like MCCODEs that are all basically text games featuring energy, will and such. I use to see tons of them from every theme from mafia to pirates but not so much anymore.

I ask because I have a legally purchased copy of MCCODE v2 but I never bothered having it fixed or secured and made into a game. (When I first bought it I was under the assumpttion it worked out of the box and it obviously falls way short of that assumption.) Anyhow, I'm not the best at PHP so i would have to pay to have all this done. Is MCCODEs or any of these engines viable anymore and worth the time and or money to develop?

To me, a successful game would be one that could bring in a couple hundred USD a month consistantly.

Thanks!

JimiB

I believe that the market is not as big as it used to be once, but I wouldnt say that it has completely died off.

If you can make a game with a nice new twist and give it a nice story line, I feel that people will still join your game, maybe not in numbers they would a few years ago, yet you'd have a sizeable population of players.

Regarding securing MCCodes,

The costs might go into a few hundred $$ to have it secured, an easier alternative is to purchase the new worlds engine created by Alain, it can be found at nw-engine.com

You are getting a really secure engine with a constant development and support provided, and it will be cheaper than clearing up the mess that is MCCodes.

Thats just my two cents :)

Regarding securing MCCodes,

The costs might go into a few hundred $$ to have it secured, an easier alternative is to purchase the new worlds engine created by Alain, it can be found at nw-engine.com

You are getting a really secure engine with a constant development and support provided, and it will be cheaper than clearing up the mess that is MCCodes.

Thats just my two cents :)

I thought about that but looking at the DEMO ( http://www.nw-engine.com/demo/ ) it seems that the NWE is also not ready and has errors so I would still end up paying a coder to get it working out-of-the-box. I could be wrong but I'm just going off that DEMO. I am sure Alain provides excellent support. However, before I buy another game engine I would have to know that it is ready to go without any more coding needed other than the layout and graphics. Otherwise I would proably be better off just paying to have v2 secured and fixed. I'm sure someone out there on this forum has done that numerous times and can have it done for a reasonable amount.

I thought about that but looking at the DEMO ( http://www.nw-engine.com/demo/ ) it seems that the NWE is also not ready and has errors so I would still end up paying a coder to get it working out-of-the-box. I could be wrong but I'm just going off that DEMO. I am sure Alain provides excellent support. However, before I buy another game engine I would have to know that it is ready to go without any more coding needed other than the layout and graphics. Otherwise I would proably be better off just paying to have v2 secured and fixed. I'm sure someone out there on this forum has done that numerous times and can have it done for a reasonable amount.

NWE works out the box, skimmed over the demo didn't see any errors (although if you point them out, it may help).

MCodes works out the box (maybe, don't actually know after version updates).

End of the day, choose which ever engine will suit your needs better, or get a custom one.

Either way no engine will suit your needs exactly.

Best of luck with your game.

Edited by Djkanna

I'm not aware of any bugs in the demo. However the demo doesn't allow you to update any tables, so basically none of the actions you do will actually produce an effect. Why? Because I want to show the engine clean and not leave it open only for 2 min before somebody changes the password, or do other stupid things.

The errors were in the actions like Crimes and Alain just provided explanation of that. I'm not a programmer so I didn't look to hard at them. My bad. Thanks for all the input. NWE might be fun to try. Gotta see if my friend with PHP knowledge is interested first 8^)

There are still many successful running mccode games today, but many here has not pointed out the fact that mccodes is not reliable without a bunch of coding.

So yes, if you want something reliable, mccodes + a good programmer will reach your goal easily.

If you have a low budget, i think you can generally forget about mccodes.

However, if you have a budget of $2,500, then we can possibly speak of taking your mccodes game to the next level of how you want it.

But overall, developers here are expensive and cheap.

I have done many mccodes secures and rewrites and my prices been following:

Just securing the known exploits: $250

Securing & Rewriting: $750

Securing, Rewriting, Re structuring, Adding on, Developing further, improving: Generally could run into $2,500 easily. So lets set this to $1,300 for the rewrite, secure & restructure.