MakeWebGames

Ease of Use Idea

gmoore

While I was working on an admin program I noticed one thing about the tools in general. Some of the programs seem pretty easy to use on a small site but could become monsters on the possible, inevitable large site. For example, thousands of config variables or users for example. We may want to consider a general filter class that we could put at the top of screens to search on fields or limit results in other ways.

I don't have a solution yet but I just thought, what happens if I get 2,000 players. How am I going to be looking them up. And I suspect I will be happily to busy to fix it then.

It could be as simple as:

[Text Entry] [Drop Down of all Fields in the table V] using 'LIKE' you could get all players with a user name of 'gmoo' or something like the conditionals for location path where you might say 'Players in Clan XX'. This could be in the table edit or any of the potential long list of data screens.

This is just a thought, not a request. For the future we all want :cool:

Greg

Username selection, or other using the smart selection feature of the engine should be already partially covered. However the table editor and such don't have yet a paging and should integrate something (as well as a filter / search). It wasn't my priority, but we could think about it if you think it's already the moment for such feature.

I just wrote a routine that made a 10,000+ map locations with path connectors as a board. So I have already encountered it. But that is my problem at the moment. It's mildly important to me since then I don't have to do it lol, but there is probably other just as important things for everyone else.

This was not a request, just a comment.

Greg

Oh and I put stuff like this onto the forums more as a reminder for me (or us as a community) as well as hoping that someone may have done it already.

My hope is that things I put here (these style suggestions) are more core system oriented that everyone will or does need. I NEVER am expecting this to get done. Just crossing fingers.

Greg