MakeWebGames

Host Server Code

gmoore

Question: I -NEVER- update code from a host server. I download and test locally, then move it forward. My theory:

Web directories I develop with:

114a_original: Version from download 1.14 in this case

114b_last: Last Generic Version tested, last fallback version for restore

114c_work: Current Generic Version tested, with all downloaded modules updated

114d_custom_last: Last Custom version tested, last version for restore

114e_custom_work: Current working custom version

I was wondering if the server 'check module version' software was available so that I can do this process independently?

If nothing else, I want to check for my own modules for my own server/servers. Perhaps other 'purchased' modules.

What do you think? Just wondering before I create my own.

Great system!

Greg

Okay, just to clarify. I never use/trust/expect perfection from code/systems that are downloaded. I check everything out. I work with Magento, Codeigniter, Yii ALOT and make sure everything is okay before it goes on a live site. I want to feed to my sites directly from my local tests. It has nothing to do with the developer(s), I just believe in as close to perfection as I can get. The more eyes the better. (Can you tell I don't update my system from Mircosoft or Apple unless I check it out first?) So I want something to proprogate changes to my system that *I* want and *I* have tested.

ty

Greg

Just a thought to change in the module XML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<configuration xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://www.nw-engine.com/modules.xsd">

<module version="1.0.0" name="Add Experience" author="Alain Bertrand"

updateserver="http://www.nw-engine.com/get_module.php"

versionserver="http://www.nw-engine.com"

versionprogram="/check_version.php"

description="This is a small hack which should be removed on a running game. Allows you to add experience to the current player with a single click." />

</configuration>

And would consider changing line 51, content.php in the admin_module_manager to 'something' like this:

$data = file_get_contents($module_updateserver . "?l=$engineLicenseKey&m=" . urlencode($_GET["upg"]));

And line 113:

$res = PostMessageToServer($module_versionserver, $module_versionprogram, "mods=" . urlencode(serialize($mods)));

This is kind of pseudo code but I wanted your thoughts on it. So that I can support my own modifications to my own site remotely.

Thank you,

Greg

So that I can support my own modifications to my own site remotely.

Thats a great idea. Module downloading is nice, but it really is just for downloading to development server at the moment. Few if any mods can be directly used/updated from the market place to a live game. Marketplace->Devserver->Live Game should ease the maintenance of a game by a good portion.

I just feel more comfortable updating a live system on my own. I have a development reference site that is hooked into everything you put out there. My custom development site does not access your servers at all so that I don't accidently update with something that is not compatable (there is no Update Module or Check Module routines for instance). I mean it is so easy to pull something down without realizing it and then the site is down. Nothing is on the live Internet of any of this at this point. But it will be whenever. So I am creating (in my eyes) NWE-ala-Greg framework based so far on the 1.14 codebase. Others here I assume are doing something similar. Generic modules I make work in 1.14 first which I intend on giving back to you to include or release or I will just post here. Some are confidential (just game specific things) such as combat system perhaps. So, I don't know if I want to post to even a private system. But I will work in whatever way you feel the system needs to be. I appreciate most that you are willing to look at suggestions.

Greg

Personally I would work like that:

- Develop my game on my own PC with XAMPP, and commit my release on a SVN or GIT repository

- Update the server (beta server or production server) from SVN or GIT

why? Because in this way you could always rollback to previous versions even yours, have comments about your changes and also see what changed in that particular version.

I don't think NWE should replace a source repository like SVN or GIT, use the existing (and good tools) instead.