MakeWebGames

Java

The Spirit

Is there still a market for Java? What with all the recent security blunders I'm surprised people still use it :D

Not a favourite language of mine I'm afraid - the write once run anywhere paradigm never really worked for me. A produced a few applets, but never really got into the full application programming aspect of it - in part due to idiosyncrasies between JVM providers (notably Sun and Microsoft).

Maybe theres not such a market for java alone but I would say Android development is keeping it going somewhat. Theres definitely a market for that.

Security blunders were in Java 7 werent they?

Java does seem to be going out of fashion. C++ seems to be the one people look to learn/ are expected to know. Also C++ seems to be faster.

I suppose once you know the fundamentals of programming you can teach yourself new languages quite easily.

Oh I forgot about the smart phones - I s'pose it does make sense on those. And yes AFAIK the recent round of blunders were zero-day fubar's presumably covering not only the recent releases of 7 but priors well - I must admit to not looking too closely.

C++ in comparison? Difficult to really compare. I prefer C, so any heavy duty tests I could consider would almost certainly trounce Java, but that being said, I have seen some blazing fast Java so I guess it comes down to picking the correct language for the job at hand. Mathematically, certainly in the field I often find myself in, then assembler is still the only choice which often means a C or a C++ wrapper which thankfully these days can be linked to just about anything.

I stopped using Java quiet some years ago. I personally liked it when it came out, it was incredible compared to C / C++, even if at that time there was a huge performance hit. Also the promise (which never really worked out) to run everywhere was interesting. However bugs, stability and quick deprecations of the language (between versions you had to rewrite, recompile your old code if you ever wanted to keep it) simply killed any possible interest.

Today I work mainly with C# / .NET and I'm way not alone in this situation if you check the market share.

Java is still interesting if you want to develop on Android, or if you want to make some web development for big companies which didn't moved to .NET yet.

• 1 month later...
I'm in my first year studying computer science and were currently learning java.

Is anyone else learning java?

Or does anyone have any good tips or information.

A discussion on java would be quite interesting

I have been learning Java for 4 months. Maybe we can talk with each other and share our learning experences

I'm in my first year studying computer science and were currently learning java.

Is anyone else learning java?

Or does anyone have any good tips or information.

A discussion on java would be quite interesting

I have been learning Java for 4 months. Maybe we can talk with each other and share our learning experences

• 3 months later...