MakeWebGames

Attractive Advertisement Tutorial!

Absolute Zero

Hello, everyone! Good Morning/Afternoon/Night!

Let's start by me telling a little about myself then I will post the tutorial for all of you. I signed up to CE about a week ago and so far enjoy the community. I would like to help out anyway I can so I will post this.

Experience: Adobe Photoshop CS1/CS3, Imageready, some flash cs and dreamweaver.

Time: About a 2 & 1/2 of graphic design.

Note: Before you start this project keep a design/style in mind.

For that pick out the picture/font/brushes before starting.

Recommended Sites:

Font: www.dafont.com

Pictures: www.sxc.hu

Brushes: www.deviantart.com

Tutorial: In this tutorial I will teach you how to make an attractive advertisement for your text-based game! This is not a copied tutorial and took me quite a bit of time to make! If you use this somewhere else please give me credit by posting: Made by Absolute Zero - www.zero-networks.com. This tutorial will include step by step and pictures along the way! If there are any problems/questions please post here. A +1 would be cool if you thought this was useful/used it. So what are we waiting for, lets get started!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1:

Load up Adobe Photoshop, any version is fine. Click File > New. Copy this then press "Ok":

tut1lj6.jpg

Step 2:

On your background layer go to filter > render > clouds. Press CTRL+F until you find the one right for you.

tut2xw3.jpg

Step 3:

Create 4+ new layers (CTRL+SHIFT+N) depending how in depth you want your ad to be.

Press "D" to reset your foreground; starting from the highest layer on your list ALT+BACKSPACE to fill the layer with black, then the layer under with CTRL+BACKSPACE. Black then White, Black then White. Continue this until you reach the "Background layer" (The one with clouds), do not change this layer in any way!. Your foreground and layers panel should look like this:

tut3kr4.jpg

Step 4:

Click on the highest black layer. Press "B" to go to brushes and select your favorite brush, try not to repeat using the same brush, change your color to white when it's a black background and black to when it's a white background. Brush a few times then set the layer to "soft light" in the layers panel. Continue this until you reach the background layer (the one with clouds), do not brush this one!.

tut4ug2.jpg

Step 5:

Already looks cool huh? It gets better! If you think it's to dark, click the background layer and go to: Layer > new adjustment layer > brightness/contrast and lighten it up to your desire. You can also go to the clouds layer and CTRL+F until it suits your needs. Next we need some color, layer > new adjustment layer > color balance. Use the following color levels: -45 / 0 / +32 - Midtones - Preserve Luminosity.

tut5vz5.jpg

Step 6:

Time to add a cool border. CTRL+SHIFT+N above the highest layer and name it "border". Press "M" to get the rectangular marquee tool. Start from the corner and highlight everything. With it highlighted go to Edit > stroke > 1px black. Now you can customize it by going to Layer > layer style > blending options. Play around with it and make your border look cool, "Outer Glow" is my suggestion.

tut6jk2.jpg

Step 7:

Click on the layer under the border and CTRL+SHIFT+N. Select the pencil tool with 2px. Hold shift and make a line vertically at the deep right side. Then hold shift and make a line horizontally near the top (look at picture for reference). Go to layer > layer style > stroke > 1px black. There we go, we got some cool lines on our advertisement now.

tut7ok8.jpg

Step 8:

Go to the layer below border and press "U" select the "ellipse tool" and make sure your main color is white. Then use your tool to make a circle from one side to the other like this:

tut8zq1.jpg

Once that's done set the oval layer to an opacity of around 20%, depending on how you like it make it blend so it doesn't seem to obvious.

Step 9:

Copy a picture or make your own! Click the layer beneath the border and CTRL+V your image in. Resize and cut the edges of the image with the soft eraser so it looks good and place it on the left.

tut9dt9.jpg

Step 10:

The last step! Looks great so far, but still missing something...TEXT! Grab your best text, write your game name underneath the horizontal line in a big font. Then write your slogan in VISITOR size 10 font (download at www.dafont.com) with a 1px black stroke around it! And your done! Add extra effects to your liking! I know I will.

Examples of my finished products:

tut10ci3.jpg

brokencityadot4.gif

copadvertisementfb1.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © Absolute Zero. Only members of Criminal Existence can use this, unless the person has authorization. If used please post at top and bottom: Tutorial Made By: Absolute Zero - www.zero-networks.com. Thanks and I hope you made a wicked advertisement! Any questions/problems should be posted here, thanks. +1 would be cool if you like/used it.

Guest Anonymous

Re: Attractive Advertisement Tutorial!

Simple and effective....easy to follow tutorial. I like the latest one the best.

Thanks for sharing! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Anonymous

the only thing i get stuck on is the text lol

how do u do cool texts like that

PS im CRAP at graphics and photoshop

Any designer will tell you text is the hardest part of any design...I dont know anyone that finds choosing the right text and effect easy...my suggestion is to read ALOT of tutorials dont be afraid to experiment and look into downloading some actions and styles ...this are preset settings that will give you certain effects...can be great for more complex ideas.

The styles are always changing today its all web 2.0 everyone wants clean and sleek. I guess the most important thing is to try and balance your text with the image...and make sure people can read it....especially if its in an advertisement.

• 1 month later...

Regarding Scarlets post (sorry I have been inactive) I totally agree as text is really hard to chose. But, really, there are some obvious tricks, such as: if you have a war website, don't go using cartoon font. Just use your brains and your eyes and you can come up with a pretty good design! Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

how do you do that i have tried many ways...

Sorry, messed up wording on that part, to fill the layer with black press "D" to reset foreground then press ALT+BACKSPACE to set it to black. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks, Absolute Zero.