MakeWebGames

D3Tek.net

D3Tek

Just wondering, where does the law stand on this? Rulerofzu has brought up an interesting point, is the content classed as being server from the UK or US and how does this cloudflare re-route thing affect it?

As you should be aware (considering you are in the hosting business), you have three things... where the person is viewing the content, where the servers hosting the content are and where the person who uploaded it is.

Its not a legal issue at all Octet. Its just performance related.

No, but you would also have that issue if there was a legal claim.

If you are re-routing the traffic then you introduce another person into it, so by re-routing through cloudflare where do they stand?

Only our website D3Tek.net uses Cloudfare.

I have used Cloudfare on quite a few websites and in my tests have only been able to find performance improvements. Obviously in this instance it is an issue with Cloudfare themselves and we have let them know about it.

@Octet - there is no legal issue what so ever. It's not re-routing traffic. It's serving content from a server itt thinks will providers he best performance. Obviously it has got it wrong.

@Octet - there is no legal issue what so ever. It's not re-routing traffic. It's serving content from a server itt thinks will providers he best performance. Obviously it has got it wrong.

What would happen if for example someone filed a DMCA claim though? If you're hosting someones website on your servers, but the Cloudflare servers are serving it from their servers.... then I am guessing you would contact Cloudflare who would then contact you?

I have just said only our website uses Cloudfare, not our servers. All Cloudfare does is cache content and serve it from various places. If you go to there website you'll see what they do and how they do it :)

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

We do not pay VAT as we are not registered, therefor we do not charge VAT.

We are just a partnership, not a limited company. The building we are in is a shared centre, anyone can rent offices here.

We pay our taxes like everyone else.

This makes no sense. You have an office? So, why aren't you a registered limited company? How do you pay tax and VAT?

Anyone can rent an office does not require a company number or VAT registration which is only required once you reach the VAT threshold of £77,000 per annum although you can register for VAT before that should you feel the need.

D3TeK speak to an accountant as there is VAT implications with your type of business which may benefit you.

The only reason I can see for being a Ltd Company at an early point of the business is it gives customers a searchable record which gives them more reassurance.