MakeWebGames

ASP.NET - Capable of creating a game engine?

stevenrfc

Hello,

In august I will be doing a course at college that consists of Web development and Content Creation.

One of the things i will be learning will be ASP.NET and i was wondering, Is it possible to create a browser based game engine using ASP.NET ??

Thank you.

Im cheap so when I found out how expensive it was I never gave it a second look lol so I cant tell you if it has anything over php but I can tell you that it will be limited to microsofts servers so that in itself puts php over it in my book.

Oh i see :)

Totally different than PHP. More expensive? Maybe... but not so sure. If you can make web games? Sure thing. I personally use it for my day to day work

Ah, Would you choose it over PHP?

Expensive lol you can get a windows webhost from as little as £2.50 per month

The point is, windows is more expensive than linux due to licensing, i'm sure you can get linux hosting from $1 therefore in your argument linux still wins -.-.

Regarding whether you can make a game engine yes, check out http://tmn2010.net/ they are using ASP

Well, if you know .NET then yes, I would pick ASP.NET, it offers a lot that is either impossible or hardly doable in PHP, yet, you cannot simply upload your code, and hope it works, you will need to compile and then upload the compiled code, which means you need Visual Studio. Also if you pick ASP.NET I would work with LINQ and not simply with the ADO.NET library, so either choose SQL Server as database (which you can use for free for the development, and any windows hosting I saw offer it), or you need 3rd party library if you want to use MySQL.

At the end it all depends of what you want to do, and how much knowledge you have in the languages.

The point is, windows is more expensive than linux due to licensing, i'm sure you can get linux hosting from $1 therefore in your argument linux still wins -.-.

Regarding whether you can make a game engine yes, check out http://tmn2010.net/ they are using ASP

Nce of you to incorrectly try an nit pick at my posts again Ian have you not got a engine to fix?

There was no such point being made apart from in your mind to attempt to prove me incorrect. You can also get windows hosting for $1 try google next time it will save you the embarrassment of fronting up against me and failing once more.

Nce of you to incorrectly try an nit pick at my posts again Ian have you not got a engine to fix?

There was no such point being made apart from in your mind to attempt to prove me incorrect. You can also get windows hosting for $1 try google next time it will save you the embarrassment of fronting up against me and failing once more.

You made a point, I made a point, this is a discussion after all..... And no I don't have an engine to fix. I wasn't nit picking.