MakeWebGames

Limited time VPS

skooda

why is that their go the specs

Go read on the differences.

Xen is much better due to it running its own kernels, IO among other features which is a more reliable stable platform.

Specs dont mean anything if your OS isnt up for the job. They just become badly used specs

But you wouldnt have a clue what I just said or what Spud posted which is why you mentioned the specs thinking thats the be all and end all.

Go read on the differences.

Xen is much better due to it running its own kernels, IO among other features which is a more reliable stable platform.

Specs dont mean anything if your OS isnt up for the job. They just become badly used specs

But you wouldnt have a clue what I just said or what Spud posted which is why you mentioned the specs thinking thats the be all and end all.

I'll put this in simpler terms for other people thinking about using VPS' in the future.

Xen is a virtualization technology that allows multiple operating system to be run on the same hardware.

OpenVZ is a virtualization technology that allows multiple operating systems to be run on the same kernel.

There are other more commonly known, such as VirtualBox and vBox(or now VirtualBox), which follow other approaches.

These terms aren't very accurate, but a brief explanation. They are actually worlds apart in forms of how they achieve virtualization.

Next is where SolusVM comes in, as far as I know from my limited experience with it.

It can be seen as an interface(control panel) to manage guest operating systems on both Xen and OpenVZ.

But, in a hosting environment, there is no "best" one.

They all have they're advantages. If you are not an advanced user, OpenVZ is great, and fast at that as well. It's sacrafice is about 1-2% in terms of a physical server.

Most hosting providers love this, as there is no restriction on the amount of systems they can host in a single container.

But some hosts abuse this, as the one in this thread, which means they would fold if every user on their system uses 100% of all their resources concurrently.

Now Xen is more for advanced users, who use modified kernels and specialized system builds.

Although OpenVZ is also capable of custom system builds, it doesn't nearly match the sophistication of Xen - heck, Xen can even emulate Android.

Xen, in addition, also limits the amount of systems you can host in a single domain.

This great for power-hungry sysmins, and means that every system on Xen can run at 100% of their allocated resources, and the system won't fail.

This comes at a steep price for hosting companies though, as it is much more expensive.

Hosting packages on Xen is normally about one third more expensive than the equivalent on OpenVZ.

So to compare:

Which is faster? OpenVZ.

Which is more flexible? Xen.

Which is more expensive? Xen.

Which is better for beginners? OpenVZ.

Which is better for advanced users? Xen.

Now, which one will/did I choose? OpenVZ.

Why? I have an excellent host that doesn't oversell.

In my opinion your always better using something that is independent than shared which is why I would have opted for Xen over OpenVZ.

But as Spud has also pointed out. Depends if your host oversells.

Hosting is 100% a market you get what you pay for. Go cheap expect overselling, bad or non existent support, cheap hardware, cheap bandwidth.

If I was in the market for a VPS I would choose Xen however Ill never been in the market for a VPS. Dedicated is the only option for me.