MakeWebGames

New Zombie FPS

Andy72

Hi, i'm currently making a zombie FPS. I have a great game idea and the main missions planned and I also know how multi-player will work, I have a website design in mind (for the website site obviously). Yet the thing thing is i'm OK at modelling and only know bits of php, css and html, so as you can tell i'm a beginner. Where do I start?

Well, you should keep in mind that this is certainly not a small project. Even on the artist point of view you will have to invest a lot of time / efforts and or money. For example I'm not even sure if Blender will be enough to really do all what you need.

For the coding, well... if you never coded, check the page:

http://makewebgames.io/content.php/151-Helpful-Links

True Spundinski, but they are way sub-par compared to what you do with Unity 3D and... they are actually much harder to code. With Unity 3D (which you can use for free), the basic logic of the FPS is done for you, moving around a world is done, collision detection is done etc... So why should you do it in JS when it look not as good, it's harder to do, and... overall the experience is worse?

True Spundinski, but they are way sub-par compared to what you do with Unity 3D and... they are actually much harder to code. With Unity 3D (which you can use for free), the basic logic of the FPS is done for you, moving around a world is done, collision detection is done etc... So why should you do it in JS when it look not as good, it's harder to do, and... overall the experience is worse?

You shouldn't, you should preferably create a desktop application for FPS.

Was just my thoughts with FPS in-browser.

By the way it's not in-browser it's a PC game so it's an application, and I thought I might start making my own game engine and use 3ds max, but where should I start when creating my own game engine?

Edited by Andy72

OO gosh... Well then I would say one thing:

Good luck.

Honestly making a whole engine supporting a FPS is... way beyond the skills of most and usually takes AGES to develop. That's why I would personally start with something pre-made and build from there, you will see there is already more than what you will be able to handle, I'm sure.

Also taking Unity 3D allows you to run from the browser as unity plugin or as flash, or run as standalone.

If you take the full engine road, then I would personally look into XNA.

It's not just question of time (which however is an issue as I doubt you will code it for the next 10 years). It's also a question of knowledge involved. I mean there is hard math behind, for good collision detection, LOD, special effects, light effects, and more. Myself I would feel totally lost over such huge project but as I don't know your personal knowledge maybe you already have the required skills, but given the requirements of today engines, I doubt a single person will ever have them.