MakeWebGames

Hey guys, need help with...everything D;

Tufz

An IP Ban modification is not hard to do at all.. Ive done it for all my games and im sure, if you search google some you will find information on how to make one, but it will take time.. Also, the basic header in V2 mccodes has a lot of things that can be used to make this mod.. Actually, all you need is the header..lol

Mkay.. But i dont think Tufz can make that.. :s and anyway.. that little script i posted..

if the hacker goes to his website and he(Tufz) only did it in the login.php and register.php(My script) wouldnt he already get stuck? since those 2 pages are needed to get inside the game right?

Ofc, if they change their IP or use a proxy they will get in to the game.. I would suggest making a table in the database named ban_ip and put in ip's banned there.. Then, on login.php, register.php and header.php do a function to check if the ip they are playing on is in that table.. If the IP is, show them an error message saying their IP is blocked..

I did this for my games and it works pretty well.. Also, if you are using cpanle you can block them IP's from the cpanel.. Or you can contact your hosting provider and tell them the issue.. When i was hosted by w3theory i told peter about smeone creating 50+ accounts on my game and he banned the IP from his server.. Problem solved ;)

You might have solved a problem, but you instantly create a few others. When banning an IP you ONLY ban the user temporary, unless they have a static IP (and even those can change). If the banned IP is part of a proxy pool, you might ban a whole range of users which could end up being x% of a country. And if it's part of a DHCP pool, you might block access to other users temporary. Be careful and think about your "solution"

I do understand that, and yes, thats our biggets issue.. But just have some addons to your post..lol

If you google "proxy" and use the first one, that one is probably used a lot = its slow..lol.. Yes, i know proxies work very well in cases of an IP ban, but sometimes, players are not that smart..lol.. Some players dont even think of using proxies, and some players are afraid they will get caught using proxies and hav their IP banned for even longer..

Also, some users that are IP banned are easy to find again.. If you allow multiple people to sign up using same IP (as i am) you can easily code it so when someone on same IP as another player registers you get an event.. I did that and have caught hundreds of multis since that..lol

You seem to be smart, but think about this also some, most of the players (who have no knowledge about coding and such stuff) dont even know its hard to get caught using proxies..lol..

Newclear, you don't seem to understand fully. Please read our posts carefully again and think about it for a while. We certainly do not want you to discourage making modifications, we just want to point out some facts and issues, some not always that obvious or known by all. There are so many things wrong with just basing yourself on the IP address of the user in question. In order to ban a user properly, which can't be done on IP alone, you need to base yourself on 2 sorts of facts. The technical facts, and those outside in the world.

Read Octarine's previous post (http://makewebgames.io/showthread.php/40842-Hey-guys-need-help-with-everything-D?p=267722&viewfull=1#post267722), most of the technicalities are explained.

But other issues that aren't included yet are what happens when players play on the same network?

Imagine university campuses, could be 1000s of students. Are they multis because they might have the same IP? Not really...

Imagine 2 colleagues that work together and play over the same network, are they multis because they use the same IP? Not really...

Imagine 2 players making use of the same ISP service, yet live 50km of each other and don't know each other, yet they get assigned the same IP by the DHCP pool, are they multis? Not really...

Imagine 2 friends playing the same game together and they login at each others house once in a while. Are they multis? Not really...

And the list goes on...

So in conclusion, yes it is easy to find users who happen to have the same IP, but that doesn't make them multis. I'm not saying that all of the above is always true, that really depends on what kind of users your game/site attracts. But please, be honest with yourself, don't try to just ignore what we say to make yourself look better and to get some extra sales on that mod. A lot of game owners that might not have the technical skills of others, will buy this and end up with more problems as they had before. There are way better solutions than what you have provided so far, but even those can't be 100% effective. Can you ban a users game account? Yes you can. Can you ban a users IP to prohibit them making a new account? Never, not even if you wish to ban a whole country.

All of this makes me wonder who rated the value of AM though, but that's another discussion I won't dive into in this topic.

Just to give you an example: Someone once banned 3IPs on a game (with over 50k users). Now, what is 3IPs on 50k users? I'm guessing you would think: well that's not a lot. Surely 3 banned IPs on a 50k userbase isn't a lot. But after doing a reality check, it meant that over 60% of a country couldn't access the game anymore, which lead to blocking 1000s of accounts. You simply don't want that to happen..

I do understand the posts being written, and im not posting to trying to get more sales.. My shopw describes what the mod is and what the description says is what you get.. And i did not say all the facts you listed was multis.. In my game rules i have written that if friends, employees, husband/wife, girlfriend/boyfriend, or anything else plays on same IP and are aware of it they need to message me or they may end up getting their account banned.. But what i am trying to say is, if you have someone making 50++ accounts within a short amount of time, you can ban their IP.. And then their IP is banned.. An IP banner will never ever stop them from getting another IP, i do know that, but it will stop it temporary.. When you stop the user doing it once he might not try to do it again.. Thats what the mod is good for.. And even if you read one of my first posts on this topic (dont remember what post exactly) you will see i said all cpanels has an IP banner ;) Even your host can ban IP's and im sure that if you have way too big problems with someone they will do what they can to stop it.. As hosts are good at service (at least most of them)..lol

Regarding the value of AM, i wont go into that in this topic but you are free to send me a PM with any question you do have :) AM is not just games, AM is 3 different hosting providers, over 8 different online shops, 2 gaming communities, an AM-Scripts :) The reason why most of these businesses is not listed on my .com website is because they are norwegian sites and then i have listed them on the norwegian domain i have for AM ;) but once again, PM me if questions regarding it :)

Lol also most of the proxies have Javascripts disabled, so if you make your game run on javascript. That would be the first problem for the proxy user xD (that was just a fast idea since i saw this before)

and also if you ip ban all the proxies you can get, then it would be even harder for the proxy users to get working ones, because the most available ip's left are mostly paid ones

and if you can get those also... yes it would be much work maybe to get these.. but thats an option for the proxies?

Idk if this is good or not but using proxy's could be considered as a bad thing so if someone complains about that, i do not care

and if someone hacks on like a university campus while much people have the same ip, and you block this ip.. its not your vault they don't have access anymore, someone hacked on that IP <_<"

You could also make an function, so when the user tries to get in a directory he may not go into, warning / second try = instant ban, or if they type in any malicious code

• 2 weeks later...