MakeWebGames

A few words..

Nickson

This is mainly a post concerning some things I recently saw in the IRC chatroom, but this actually counts for the whole userbase of MWG, and thus the forum as well as it happens on both.

Many people have already found their way to the chatroom, which is great. It's also good to see that people with experience hang out there as well as new people! While I like to welcome more new people to the chat, it raises an issue. And maybe a rather important one. As I've already said, people with a lot of experience hang out there daily. We joke around, we talk about web stuff, we program, ... we work. And one of the most important things to new users maybe is, that we're willing to help and share our experience.

However, it has become a regular habit of new users, to barge in unidentified and command us what to do. I can tell you already, it will NOT help you in any way, and it might leave a bad impression of you.. BE PATIENT! If we are there, we will answer, if we're not try again later.

If you happen to have a question, ask it once, someone will answer if they know it.

If you have an issue with your code, make a post on the correct forum board with all info supplied (code, error msg, ...) Someone will answer when they notice it, and you can use the link to your post in chat as a reference. Posting code in chat won't work anyway. Remember there are more users on the forum then there are on chat. I know you'll get a faster response in chat, but that doesn't mean you should ignore these forums.

We would also like to ask to be part of our community and learn how to communicate with others. This is not a place where you just ask your questions quickly and be done with it. Many of us want to help, but only if you try and put some effort in your own issues. If you can't, well then I can tell you already that at one point your credit will run out and you'll be on your own. We know this is a community around web games and that jealousy might exist between people. However if you require help from anyone on this forum, you will have to be open about it. There is no way that we can help if you don't tell us everything.

As last bit I would like to say that having a web game (or site for that matter) is one thing, but making one is another. If you do not have the knowledge for it, and no budget either, your plan will fail. We'll help, but we won't work for you free of charge, people have other jobs... So think of where you want to end up. Do you really want to own your own game at some point? Great! We have nothing against that and we'll support that. However, start with the beginning... learning something new won't be easy, but it is required, not for us, but for your own sake.

So please, be patient, be polite. It doesn't hurt you and it will only help you more. Remember these dailies are there out of their own free will. They don't have to be there, they don't have to help you. Yet they do free of charge...while they could be working, or doing something for their own... think about it.

In the coming days, rules, guidelines and such will be updated together with more things. You'll hear more about those when we've finished revising those. But I can already tell you the place will become a little bit more strict. But this should be a benefit for all of us!

• 3 weeks later...

Cool!

Never heard of the chat feature... Where do I find it? Might be cool to hang out.. Get some help from more experienced and maybe give some help for the less experienced :)

Although most people aren't looking for help.. but looking for someone to do it for them lol