MakeWebGames

Blackberry phone exploit

Equinox

Well, I know a lot of people use the Blackberry phone, it's very popular and I also find it's a great phone to use. However, those of you that are familiar with the "pwn2own" contest in which hackers fight to exploit certain software (like Google Chrome who added a $20,000 prize to the overall prize to hackers that could successfully exploit the google chrome browser) has successfully exploited the Blackberry platform with the use of Javascript and it is recommended that you turn Javascript off, I expect a lot of sites will be made that want to get the content from your phone.

So what does it do?

Using the WebKit browser engine built into the phone, attackers can design a site for people to browse that has been designed to exploit the soft spot in this engine, successful attacks will allow attackers to access data stored on the media card and built in media storage. They could steal your contact list, images or video's if they wanted.

Disabling Javascript won't fix the issue completely, it will help prevent it. Blackberry are working on a patch and will release it as soon as possible!

Read the full story here; http://www.enterprisemobiletoday.com/features/security/article.php/3928381/RIM-Recommends-Users-Disable-JavaScript-to-Protect-BlackBerry-OS-6-Handsets.htm