MakeWebGames

new 2D game help

Coly010

i'm thinking of creating a 2d tiled game but i want to know how would you make it online and how would you pull the map from a text file or should i do it via database. i think doing it via text file would be easier as i could just do stuff like

but then how do you make it so that you can see other users?

i know neab has sumthing like this but i want to do this from scratch.

then i would need to learn collision lol but it would be worth it and also if it was to be fight anyone you see anywhere do you think that the game might be slow for all users.

or should i just create certain areas for fights.

and then create dungeons which would require loading up new levels.

so tell me what you think anyway

thanks

That's a lot of question in little space :D

Anyhow:

Having it in a database is the way to do, however you should somehow compress your data (RLE is what I use).

Collision detection between what? 2 players? Keep in mind some people could just leave their PC on to block some path an annoy others, that's why we don't make any collision between players inside NEaB.

PvP is not something every players want, or maybe not all the time, so some area of PvP is the way to go for me.

For being able to see others on the map, we do use a memory table and an ajax loop to update the position of the players.

So could you send me hints and tips and little snippets of cOde for how to do the multiplayer part the collision which would be between say the player and a wall of a house.

What does Rle compress?

I'm going to use nappy or tiled qt to create my maps but how do you have it in mappy so that u can have more than one tile block showing?

Everytime I go to add a tile it changes the one I have up.

When I finish my map should I export it as a .MAP file or a text file?

Lol this is a lot of questions but I need to understand the basics before delving further.

One more question. How do you pull the map data from the database?

Thanks again

Coly010