MakeWebGames

Why does everyone want to learn PHP/HTML/CSS etc?

Redex

Well even after returning after a year, the question that pops into my mind the most is, why are people still crazy behind learning PHP/HTML/CSS and other programming languages? Most people, just come across the engine mccodes and think "Oh yes let me just figure out what language this engine is using, and then i'll just learn it and try make myself a bit of cash". Well most people sometimes forget the point of learning a computer programming language. Ask yourself: Are you just learning these programming languages just so you can write some scripts for mccodes, or make yourself a bit of cash?

If the answer is yes, then the majority of the people will be wasting their time. Why? Oh you don't expect me to tell you that as well, anyways just to inform people it's because you freaking won't learn a language in bloody 2 weeks. Why don't people understand, that people who are experienced in this field, have still got something to learn everyday. Learning a language, and learning it well will take atleast a good coupoule of years. In the time i've been here, i've seen many people attempt it and many people fail. Only a few succeed, and they are the ones with patience and a bit of logical sense. You've got to think, if you're going to dedicate you're time to learning a programming language, then you've got to be benefiting in more than one way.

Some people may ask, how is that possible? Well you've got to be thinking about taking it up professionally like going to get yourself a real job which will provide you with a weekly salary, not just hoping you will become rich over night by telling people oh i now know php or html or css, because : 1) people won't beleive you and 2) You actually don't know it all, because beleive it or not PHP is a big language and knowing only PHP won't take you very far either.

One thing that annoys me even more is, now students in school, studying in critical years like 9-10 are dedicating most of their time to this rather than studying because they think life is going to be a walk in the park, once they learn programming. They are 2 points here: 1) life is not a walk in the park & 2) beleive it or not it is very unlikley that you are going to be able to balance you're school life and you're online life and actually become sucessful in programming coding whatever you call it (it dosen't really make a difference).

My advice to you is, even if you think school/colleage/university is boring just give it a attempt and give it you're best shot, even then if you don't get the grades you want and you've got a bit of free time then attempt this, because if you don't try hard enough and then cry for the rest of you're life that why did i do this, then you've only got yourself to blame. However i can actual gurantee you that if you work hard and give it you're best shot & you're attitude is right then you will actually get decent grades, and that's what employers are looking for good dedicated and hard working people.

I just had to get this off my heart, as this was annoying me from quite some time, some of you may agree some of you may disagree but i'm not here to cause a argument i just wanted to get my point across.

Thank you for reading and have a good afternoon

Kind Regards: Redex

This topic is for nothing, if they are going to put all their time into an online game let them it’s there life. Some people stopped coming online (one name does jump to mind) during the exams and if they do care about it they all will.

Next point why learn html,php,css ?

Well html is the first thing I would say learn no matter what your going to do, it’s the first language you need to know (in general) for online game development (text based) php and css mainly since mccodes use them people that have a copy learn what they need to but not all of us are fixed to them. A lot of people (like me) did not start with html or php and a lot people on here are not just locked into the mccodes database class file ($db->query etc) for php, learning what you need is always the way to go after you have a good grasp learn more its what I did I just happen to not start by finding mccodes…

Really great here Redex.

I totally agree with you on the School part. There are some students who might want to learn programming because it's cool(Yeah....)/Something Different/Personal Enjoyment. And it does tend to side track-them on school work. Witch could* tend to them maybe failing at school, and not get a decent job. But, I also disagree with some of it.

Programming:

Programming(Depending what language), is hard yes. And people at school will think it's hard. But they would still want to-do it even they may not have a chance with. No in-case you haven't figured it out yet. Some Developers, etc.. Are self-taught. And there-for, it will take longer. And there is possibly a higher chance of failing both. But, I myself think Students should do what they want. A child wants to learn to program, let him. He want's to fail school or cba with him. I say let him(But to try to persuade him lol). I personally think it's a choice. That's a part I disagree on. And there another part. In-case you didn't read my intro, I want to learn all this for some Students in my class to own games, etcc.. (Read intro for more detail) & also for my sons encase they want to learn it(There choice really & Both 2 :P). So I simply suggest, why not give them a helping hand? If I do become a good developer, and know what I'm doing. It's great(For me! :D). And if I see a student who doesn't want to-do school, and want's to-do programming. I will help him. It's all a matter of choice.

And also, try not to take life to serously. If you do. Live will revolve around work. Hey look at me. I'm a music teacher(Getting paid £2.5K A Month). I have a SEX(Orge) wife. 2 wonder full twins. A awesome dog. Great house. It's just so superb. :)

Hey I failed at school I'm doing alright, sure I spend most of my time online and working of various projects but I still get paid..

I think and from my own personal experience, when I started learning PHP well it was when I first stumbled across MCCodes, I wasn't interested in making money. I just wanted to create a game like the previous ones I've played.

Starting here back in 2007 I was a lurker and the hostile enviroment which it kinda was in most places I though I'd better learn something before I join in, which I didn't bother doing anyway well not until I came back to playing with MCC in 2008.

So today, MWG isn't hostile nor is it full of flames (well not too often anyway) I think they want to learn web programming languages for the enjoyment of building websites as right now there is so many PHP developers and so little work, so I really don't think starting to learn just so you can earn money is a good idea nor one that's going to work well right now.

So all in all, I and most people here perhaps CrimGame, Pudda, Equinox the ones you see on a daily basis helping others wanted to learn because we wanted to, and to find out that it's enjoyable yet can be a pain in the ass was something we came across in later years.

And if you get into the more serious programming languages it does teach some values that can be used in any line of work also which is a plus.

Simplest reply:

PHP is one of the easiest to learn - if you want go on to learn more complex code like JAVA and C++ then PHP is the best place to start albeit C++ is very different.

Why:

ITs reasonably reasy to self teach due to so many free script examples and tutorials.

Huge community forums for support, a good huge number of sites use PHP and its free and widely supported.

CSS/HTML - just how can you not learn that without a website, unless you learnt flash but that then limits total users for the site as not all like flash and disable it or don't have it.

You don't make Cash from these languages, its the idea/product you make from the code that makes you the cash.