MakeWebGames

Work progress

a_bertrand

You will find here the progress of this project. Everyone contributing to it should add a little post here too to notify about the change:

- The base library is mainly ready (more will be added as we need it of course)

- Modules are split in different categories: for admin, interface, locations

- You will find some modules in all those categories already

- Register / login should work

- The work module contains an auto installer and shows how modules could install the required tables by just running the module itself. That's certainly something which may help new people to use modules created by others.

- Localization of the engine is possible directly from the admin menu (which means you can as well change texts to fit your theme better, without editing the files).

- Template and skins are nearly complete, and will just require a work on it to produce more than one basic template.

- Player stats are game dependent and can be set via the database

- Modules have full access to the stat without requiring to execute any query

Currently the engine package is composed of 72 files, which is not bad for a little simple engine which just started, isn't it?

Now I wait at least on your feedback if not your contributions!

Added installer: it checks if the needed directory can be written to, ask for info about the game setup, writes the config file and creates the needed tables. Installing this engine should be really easy now.

Next step is the handling of the "turns" or "time" which allows some stats to grow back after a while (like energy)

Events are now coded (you will need to add manually a new table if you already installed the engine). Events works as any other "module" and will be loaded automatically as well. Code for a single event like increasing the energy every 30 sec is done with a complete code like the following:

<?php
$evt=player_event("energy",30);
if($evt > 0)
set_stat("energy",get_stat("energy")+$evt);
?>

set_stat ensures also that the stat doesn't goes above the limit defined (either fixed, or by a function).

The number 30 you fin on the second line is to define how frequently the stat need to be increased. Other things can be triggered by the same mechanism.

This ensures a full working game, with background events without any cron.

This is going to be awesome. Something other than mcc base to work with. I am planning to work on making or converting a template and hopefully all works well.

edit*

I have actually already converted a template for it, just did some changing around with main.php in the default folder, now my next task at hand is leave the default alone and create different templates to choose from and install like the modules, is that already implemented or is that something I need to work on?? I know there was talk about it just haven't done much looking around to find out. But it would be so much simpler to be able to just install a new template/theme. Once I get all of the bugs etc worked out with the current template I will post a screenshot of it if thats ok with everyone.

I will work on the engine to support multiple templates then, you will need simply to create a new directory for your template, inside the templates directory and put your files there. The two mandatory files are main.php and skin_functions.php, beside those you can have as many files as you want there (like images or whatever else).

On my side, I will modify the engine such that you will be able to define the default template to use (by choosing the name in the config file), and also letting the player choose his/her template (so player will be able to customize their environment).

Posted a new version:

- Rewrote the admin panel for the works, templar (nickson) posted a version which allows editing, and I make it compacter as well as adding the edit icon to it.

- Changed the players table to add the template information:

[mysql]

ALTER TABLE PLAYERS ADD TEMPLATE VARCHAR(40)

[/mysql]

- Created an initial preference panel such that people can choose the wished template

- Changed the default template to use a very small CSS

- Created a new template called "blue" with guess what? A blue scheme. The menu appears on the right side, just to show that you can do whatever you want with the placement of the things.

- Changed the world.php to load the chosen template or the default template as specified in the config.php

- Changed the tags with <SPAN> and some class such that you customize how those feedback messages look like.

- Changed the install and the config to contain the default template.

- Reworked the site http://www.zapengine.com/ now it has a look, and more than a single page, even if it's still quiet empty.

I re downloaded it again like I do everytime there is an update rather than just editing it, anywho I think something is missing from the installer or hell maybe I did something wrong.... anyway this is what I am getting.

- Work

Fatal error: Call to a member function Close() on a non-object in /home/cheese/public_html/modules/locations/messaging/menu_title.php on line 4

I just tried re installing it twice more dropping all tables, etc and I still get the same error so for now I am going back with the previous installation until someone tells me what I am doing wrong.

Status update:

- Currently working on an inventory / shop / object code. Where you will be able to purchase items, and wear them. The items will then be used during the calculation of the battle system. As a first quick shot the battle system will be completely automated, and you will just need to say "battle" and you will know if you win or loose. This is just to create a first game, in future more complex battles system can be built in.

- Object, Object type, slot type, stats editors are there. Basically a new core feature allow you to create a table editor with a single line of code.

- You can equip or unwear items

- You can purchase items from the shop

Remains the checks for the wearing of an item, an item viewer, and... the combats.