MakeWebGames

Help!

Blade Maker

Guest georgelink

thats right, art making is, how do you put it, difficult. It isn't something you decide to learn it this day and tomorrow your bill gates at it. It takes time

and good tutorials :P . Same goes with Programming. Learning C++ could take a month or 20 years. Depending on the depth of your learning

Actually, if you already how to program in the same kind of language (like you know OO and you need to learn another OO) you will need about 6 month to really be up and running with a new language. Sure you can do things in a shorter time, but you will not know all the language specifics tricks.

For art, I would say it's slower, it took me about 1 year until I started to somehow understand the concepts of 3D modeling / rendering, and with photoshop, there is still a lot which I don't master... and it has been YEARS I'm working with it.

Guest georgelink

Ya, like i said. You cant just request to learn something! :P

First off, if you want to learn something, you gota have a wack load of money or

a very skilled ability to self-teach. Then you gota have the attention span :P

Unlike me, i have an attention span of a gerbil!

The difference between HTML and PHP (or any other computer language) is that HTML is a STATIC description markup language (which mean, you don't have logic embeded within, as long of course as you don't embed some Javascript). PHP or any other languages are not meant to be static, they describe a logic and the reaction to some conditions (more or less). You will need to understand the concept of variables (and maybe objects/class), and understand how to manipulate them with for example some functions.

If this is your first programming language then count more than 6 month until you get some real results. However it's really rewarding. Now, simply start with some "hello world" then try to code some logic within with maybe some user input etc. Don't start with a game as you will not understand it due to the amount of code even a simlpe game needs. There is tons of tutorials about PHP and how to start with it, but again this forum is not exactly meant for that, I mean, most if not all users here do have already a good overview of what PHP is and how to use it. You, on the other side, you should really start from the begining, otherwise you will have really an hard time to pick up.

An example of a tutorial could be found here: http://php.about.com/od/learnphp/p/learn_php_free.htm