MakeWebGames

A question to sort out all the arguments over coding copyright.....

Snatchy

Ok I want to settle all this whining about he copied you and they copied there' sand you can't do this because you havn't got that.

OK so here it is..

How much do we have to change/alter a script before we are able to claim it as one of our own? So what bits of code can and can't we use?

I see people saying that this script just looks like that one and does the same thing, yes correct but when you think about it is there any other way to code something like this and make it compatible for the game?

a table is set out like a table..... in every script, a sql query has to be typed a certain way to work and so on. Well I hopw all this makes some sense, would love to hear all your thoughts on this.

But at the end of the day when can we claim a script as our own?

Snatchy

Re: A question to sort out all the arguments over coding copyright.....

I think, that like Snatchy said, you'll find that when you write something, and then I write something. For example, if you write a cyberbank xfer mod. I write the same thing. If we compare it, it'll be bloody close to the same. To be honest, I think that in the end, nothing's really ours alone. Only when you make the idea yourself.

For instance, I make a mod that I have never seen anywhere else, crystal crops. Someone about two days later asked me about my plants mod, I didn't tell anyone, and yet people already came up with a name for it :p

So, in the end, it's all visuals. If you can make it LOOK different, it's yours. In my honest opinion.

Could be more sides to it though :)

In the courts its usually 30 - 70% of the code would have to be changed, depending on the exact type of copyright that the person has.

For example, we have a pet mod that we are working on, that is way different then the current pet mods, yet im sure that some of the code MIGHT look the same as the code current mods use, as well as might look the same as some of DBS code due to the fact it had to be written to function with the DBS code, but we know that we wrote all ourselves. Theres only certain ways certain things can be written and have them work properly.

Our pet mod while looking close to other code thats out there IS legally different enough that we wouldnt be stepping on anyone elses copyrights. (according to my lawyer at least lol).

There truely is an unspoken code among coders, and most coders wont claim something as thier own unless they have made SEVERE changes to the code.

Then there are some poeple out there who actively go out, buy/get code, make no changes and attempt to sell the mods.

It's just the corrupt few you have to worry about. I personally wouldn't steal and/or resell code without permission, I know the work involved in creating things from scratch. But unfortunately, not everyone has such ethics.

If you are a serious game owner, my lawyer who is based at Washinton DC wants to give free 15 min consultation time through phone about copyright, trademark etc

As we are working close together he will provide CE a How To Copyright Guide

• 5 weeks later...

me my self i think if you edit the code you should only be able to use it not sell it its not right for the ones who made the code in the first place now i think if you told the original coder that you made a modifacation to his code and ask him to sell it as an updater version and you guys split the cost or something because these coders take a lot of time to make these and they do it not only to make money but for every one to enjoy!!!!