MakeWebGames

Reset password + Secret question before password is sent.

Uridium

I liked the idea of a Password Retrivel system on a game but it dawned on me that as players get to know one another and sometimes fall out they may give their email addy away to a friend quite harmlessley only to find with the Password Retrieval from old they could just Pissss people off by entering their Addy all the time to send out new passwords......

So whys this one better ?

Well this one still uses the email system as before but on registration users Now have to enter a Secret question so they can retrieve passwords.

Even if a user gets their email address correct and the Secret Question Wrong then No email will be sent to a user saying a password reset occured..

Both the email and the secret Question have to be exact..

Will post in a few moments when i get the files ive adjusted together.....

Re: [MCCODES V2] Reset password + Secret question before password is sent.

Sounds like it will be a good idea, but there is one problem...

When a member wants to reset their password, what happens if they noob spell, then they don't know exactly what they entered. Maybe it should contain a conformation screen so no one misspells their secret question answer. Or just make members use a small word to describe their questions.

Okies here goes

SQL

You're unable to view this code.

Viewing code within this forum requires registration, you can register here for free.

call this file resend.php

Viewing code within this forum requires registration, you can register here for free.

Part 2 to follow could put it here but incase i mess it up lol

Why make a completely different...Wouldn't it be easier to modify the other password recovery that checks email?

But just change it to verify the username to the serect word..I think that would be easiest for you...Unless you don't have the old one already...If you don't have old one...then bout same thing to just make your own like you are.

Open up register.php

and find

Underneath add

Same file Alter this line from

To this one

Same File Again find

Underneath Add

And Thats it i havent added this to the preferences.php file yet but will do over time.

Why make a completely different...Wouldn't it be easier to modify the other password recovery that checks email?

But just change it to verify the username to the serect word..I think that would be easiest for you...Unless you don't have the old one already...If you don't have old one...then bout same thing to just make your own like you are.

I dont have an old copy of it i lost quite a lot of files on a reformat so im back to the basic MCC V2 at moment

Ouch that sucks......

I have had computer problems I bought a new one and it came with a bad core in processor so I sent it back...And my luck lol...They didn't have any more of those models So i order parts and built my own....Long story short 2 and 1/2 weeks of a problem with computer cause when i got my first new one(the one that broke) i sold my old one...So i was without...

But I was lucky though I didn't lose nothing. Cuaes i have 2 Hard drives i use as backups...

Sorry, to hear you lost all yout stuff that sucks bad..

Funny, just yesterday I was testing a Reset Password mod and decided not to use it because I instantly realized it could be easily abused.

Perfect timing for this, and a big +1 to you. I trust it works and will add it soon. Thanks a lot for sharing, when I have more experience in PHP I plan to give back a lot to the CE community as it has helped me so much already. :-)

Once ive done the part for preferences.php those that are already regd on the game can set a new Secret Question via settings

For those that havent had hance to set a new secret question and cant access the login page will have to use other means IE mail to staff

The best way would be to just set up a form they can fill out and you can make a staff mail their email manually using an email from the site to verify their email address. If they can't verify their email, they can't get their account back, simple as that.

Update for Preferences.php

Open up preferences.php find..

Underneath Add..

Still in prefs find

Underneath add

Finally Add

With the rest of the links in preferences.

• 2 months later...

Just an idea, As Someone said before, About the newb spelling. Why not make it send to an email to confirm, and save there question. That way, They always have it on hand, Unless they are stupid and delete the mail.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I just wanted first say thanks for this free contribution as it saved me a lot of time. However, this mod isn't exactly what it says it is...let me explain.

When registering, it asks you to enter a security question, and then re-enter it for confirmation. There's no place to enter an answer for the security question.

So basically what you have is a second password just so people can request a password change. I have edited yours so the user has to choose one of the supplied security questions, and then enter an answer for the security question. Thanks though :thumbsup: +1

• 1 year later...