MakeWebGames

Developing a game - Is an engine better then simply coding it yourself?

Teonnyn

Okay.. this is my first post here.

I came across PHPGames looking for gaming engines. I have a TCG in development - physical - with a whole story and universe behind it.

Recently it was advised that it might actually be a good thing to have an online game as well to promote this. There is a huge

level of customization in the whole thing. I've been trying to figure out of it would be better to code it myself, or go with a

engine developed beforehand, at least to study if nothing else. The player, in a online game, would be able to explore the world

envolved with the card game itself. Think a much-simplified version of Space Merchents, but you don't have to wander around

in ships (you might be able to). What kind of engine would be best?

Re: Developing a game - Is an engine better then simply coding it yourself?

I would say it preaty much depends on your coding skills. If you start with your own code, you should be able to do exactly what you want, but it may take you a lot more time, and maybe you will stop before reaching your goal.

On the other hand, if you take an existing engine as base, you may also modify it to fit your needs, the advantage is that you will start with already something, the bad part is that you will need either to modify all to fit your needs, or to live with some of the drawback of the existing design.

My coding skills are nowhere near the best, and in fact I've been using Joomla most of the time as a base. I really prefer having examples to use, but I have no idea what kind of engine would be good. The game I have in mind for the web version is much like the original Space Merchants (which inspired games like TDZK, etc). Is there any open-source engine that could be recommended for that?

• 1 month later...

In my opinion no.

Programming your own engine is 100% better then using a engine, unless of course the engine i regularly updates with bug fixes.

The reason i say this is:-

You can make the engine unique to your self.

The theme is easier to build upon.

etc etc

I would say it preaty much depends on your coding skills. If you start with your own code, you should be able to do exactly what you want, but it may take you a lot more time, and maybe you will stop before reaching your goal.

On the other hand, if you take an existing engine as base, you may also modify it to fit your needs, the advantage is that you will start with already something, the bad part is that you will need either to modify all to fit your needs, or to live with some of the drawback of the existing design.

Very true