MakeWebGames

Copyright issues - torncity

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I recently read an announcement on torncity...

"Topic: TC Copyright

We have managed to successfully shut down our first copycat website that went against our copyright. We are also considering reclaiming costs and damages. They had taken many of our designs and ideas, in some cases even images and HTML code. This is a warning to all TC copycats, and webmasters that use the popular ‘mccodes’ which goes against our copyright condiditons… We are watching you. "

So dose this mean they have the power to shut anyone's site down that's powered by mccode? or just people whom use there images/source?

Re: Copyright issues - torncity

They don't have power to shut anyone down period. What they can do is (but not necessarily limited to) go to the company that hosts a website that has material that might be impinging on TC's copyrights. The host company will likely require that the offending material be removed (if it's a third offense or more, they may shut down the site immediately).

It's basically a case of TC asking a company to pull strings for them. TC doesn't have power to shut anyone down, and if you have a valid mccodes license, and you get shut down for having that, then I'd think the sellers of mccodes would be liable for your losses. (I.e., fraud in the inducement. because they can't sell material they don't have permission to sell or don't own the copyright to. So, by definition, for them to sell it, means they claim they have rights to sell it, and hence the fraud in the inducement.)

lol did I mention I'm selling a "rewrite" of something that is similiar but not the same as Torn Cities new organized gang crimes?

None of their images are used, none of their html is used, I've never even done their organized crimes. All I know is someone explained to me kinda sorta how it works and I made something that's better and 100% secure.

mail me if you wanna buy it lol

[me=Floydian]sticks finger in cheds face[/me]

• 2 weeks later...

lol did I mention I'm selling a "rewrite" of something that is similiar but not the same as Torn Cities new organized gang crimes?

None of their images are used, none of their html is used, I've never even done their organized crimes. All I know is someone explained to me kinda sorta how it works and I made something that's better and 100% secure.

Lol Floydian

explain it to me and ill code it lol i don't like buying things :-P

-_-

I'd like to see you try and code something as high quality and secure as Floydian does.

-_-

I'd like to see you try and code something as high quality and secure as Floydian does.

Uhm, your nose is turning brown. :-D

-_-

Uhm, your nose is turning brown. :-D

i noticed that there also lol

i didn't say i was going to make it has "secure" i said "explain it to me and ill code it lol i don't like buying things"

now does that say anything about security?

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't you learn to read.....Thats not what i said..All im pretty much saying is his copyright is pretty much bullshit...And i highly doubt TC shut any game down unless the owner had the game on a free server...I wouldn't take anything off that lame game

i highly doubt anything on there is copyright protected.....In my opinion that game is lame and isnt worth playing...I would like to see them try to shut down my game

weird because it looks very different

Why don't you learn to read.....Thats not what i said..All im pretty much saying is his copyright is pretty much bullshit...And i highly doubt TC shut any game down unless the owner had the game on a free server...I wouldn't take anything off that lame game

Torn city can't be lame if it brings more users than almost all our sites... lol

• 2 weeks later...

i highly doubt anything on there is copyright protected.....In my opinion that game is lame and isnt worth playing...I would like to see them try to shut down my game

weird because it looks very different

Torn city can't be lame if it brings more users than almost all our sites... lol

combined

lol TC is not lame

Go on there site now click users online ^.^

The coding may not be the best but there are some good unique parts on that game that we ourselves have put in our game they don't mind that since they have done the same and stole ideas from other games

When you use there images which were made and bought by Chedburn to be used on TC and TC only then you have a problem

• 3 weeks later...

I admit, i love some of the scripts on TC. The Company mod, the POKER would have to be my favourite, the gangs are awesome, theres just so much good but then there is also so much crap.

Lag

Multis

Lag

More lag

lots of other stuff.

Thats why i made my game, making it like torn city without the lag. =P

• 2 weeks later...

who cares how many players he has.....i can put multis in a game too...The bottom line is torncity is lame, the owner is lame and needs to be knocked off his high hoarse

Uhhh, i bet you with you where making the cash he does... and have 800 - 900k users like he does.

The only reason you think it is lame, is because its better then any game you've tried to make.

who cares how many players he has.....i can put multis in a game too...The bottom line is torncity is lame, the owner is lame and needs to be knocked off his high hoarse

Uhhh, i bet you with you where making the cash he does... and have 800 - 900k users like he does.

The only reason you think it is lame, is because its better then any game you've tried to make.

i must agree most people believe it is crap because they are jealous but i am a member i have tried playing it and it's just not my type of game, but they do have some nice mods

Just because you have similar gameplay elements, theme or crappy layout doesn't mean you are breaking their copyright.

It might be a problem if you stole their graphics and used them without permission though.

But really, there are 10,000 games just like TC...

I bet they threatened some poor kid trying to start a hosting company from their basement to stop providing hosting services to the game.