MakeWebGames

Understanding An Error Message!

Absolute Zero

As I was fixing my login page, I tried to login and got this error (never happened before):

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/tmp/sess_1061e1f5673530e91645d55b313354a2, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/battlefi/public_html/authenticate.php on line 3

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/battlefi/public_html/authenticate.php:3) in /home/battlefi/public_html

After a couple of minutes, I deleted my cache, cookies, etc and it went away. I talk to one of my members and he said this has happened to him since day 1! Anyway I could fix this, or what the problem is?

Thank you, sincerely, Absolute Zero

Guest Anonymous

Re: Understanding An Error Message!

That's a nasty little number...

The session functions are having trouble (permission denied) writing to the /tmp folder...

Check your perms on that folder, check the disk for space etc...

That's a nasty little number...

The session functions are having trouble (permission denied) writing to the /tmp folder...

Check your perms on that folder, check the disk for space etc...

What should the permissions be? The folder's perms are currently 755 and I have plenty disk space :oops:

Guest Anonymous

/tmp folders are 777 (drwxrwxrwt) and often mounted as a partition in their own right...

Assuming you have shell access, try

ls -l / | grep tmp

and

df | grep tmp

Post (or PM me) the results

Vastly more complicated, but incredibly better of a solution is to go with databased sessions and skill the flat file bull.

I can point you to a script that will handle a databased session, but implementing it will require some studying on your part.

And then you have to search every file you have, and everywhere you have a die; or exit; or some sort of a redirect, whether it be one using headers or javascript, you will need to add in session_write_close(); before that. That bit isn't complicated, but it's tedious considering mccodes preponderance of die/exit usage.

And you will have to setup a database table for the session, tell php to use the database for storing the session. All in all, it's a vastly superior method of sessions. I for one will never go back to the temp file stuff....