MakeWebGames

TC Rips

KingAce

Yh...

There are probably over 200 MC Source aka "TC Ripped" games out there now. I personally think it was a very bad idea giving out a Free Version of MC Source Codes :thumbsdown:

Most of the Lite version have been upgraded with the mods they didnt come with, such as gangs and crystal markets. This then makes it unfair on the people who had to pay to get these mods when version 1 first came out.

Every game is different in its own very small way, but they are all the same in a big way. Nearly every RPG i hear about is a version of the Lite codes. Soon everyone is gonna own one of these, and then there will be no-one to play the exsisting games out there. Meaning for those who paid, we get ripped off because all our players have gone to make their own MC Lite Game

I hope MC Lite Codes are deleted and not gave out anymore cos there are too many :(

TC Rips

The cake is more than big enough

you all focus on some games you think are BIG well they are actually peanuts.

100k players is NOTHING

there are plenty of TEXT based games with over a million players, so the cake is more than big enough to devide.

It's all up to the game owner how originall he is and how he markets his game to the cyber world.

Thieving ideas or using the same mods as other games doesn't make you originall but it could be that your game is more succesfull than another. It's the game owner that chooses that direction, being lazy and just seeing the game as a short term money maker and not wanting to invest is wrong.

TC Rips

We even advertise a few text games here with 300k+ players.

As standard MCC stands its rather bland and not very immersive, so many MCC owners will not get many players.

Just because everyone and their dog owns a MCC game now doesnt stop players playing other games though, just makes it harder to find good ones ;)

As for TC rips, well TC wasnt unique to the genre when it started so TC itself can be considered a rip of other games if someone really wanted to go find older similar games ;P

Keep in mind TC has roughly 20k active accounts, out of as MD said over a million possible players out there.

TC Rips

A part of an article in 2001 in the magazine Time

Datamonitor predicts there will be 5.1 million online gamers in Europe. The U.S. will have about double that figure, generating global revenues of about 1.4 billion dollars from subscription charges, advertising and e-commerce. The Web offers lots of advantages over playing solitaire. The global nature of the network means that even at 3 a.m., there will always be players available online. Social interaction is a big draw since online games allow players to be a part of virtual communities, meeting new people and chatting with opponents before, during and after a match.

Note: This is from 2001 ! so in 2001 they where already talking about 15 million people playing online games.

Guest Anonymous

TC Rips

My 2 cents ...MCLite was made free because ALOT of people were already getting their hands on it and not from the person that made it who from the way I understood it got tired of everyone reselling it. So yea he stripped it and made it free...

As for those who paid it not being fair well such is life with technology ...if you wait long enough the price drops on EVERYTHING...

Frankly Ive tried maybe 1 mccode game and found it lacking...so like tunk and md have stated its not the shell code you should be concentrating on but what you add and make from it...if you truly want a game that people will like you should put work into it...simply throwing a code up on a server may get you a few players but you will not have any success. As for ripping well again ...pretty much every idea someone has is triggered from something else learning to grow and evolve not simply recreate is the secret ;)

Maybe you dont understand what I was trying to put across...

Ok, so its upto people to make their game different, but if all the common players are all owning their own games, who is there to make it different for?

People are leaving games to make their own free one out of these Lite codes, and soon there will be over 500? What is MC Codes hoping to achieve from this? A name for themselves?

Guest Anonymous

TC Rips

There is no way all of them will be successful ...and there is an ever growing market of online players....if and when those who lack imagination crash and burn they will be back playing old faithful...you mention 500 mccodes games...so even if they all made a dent theres millions of online players.....

Sites come and go all the time the games that lack the ingenuity and fortitude will be the same...I dont see any issues with alot of competition it just makes those that are really committed to succeeding work all that much harder...

Im actually glad for it...because from past experience the competition is needed those that have stable games start taking their players for granted and get slack with upgrades and what not...so once again like I said if your game is better then the average joe it will talk for itself and you will have players....happy players dont leave ..well some may if they think there is easy money, but honestly I dont think the money is so easy ..30 seconds of fame is NOT success.

I understand what you are trying to get across but you just arent looking at the big picture IMO...Rome wasnt built in a day and neither should an online game..

TC Rips

exactly, Scarlet can say it so much better than I can

I understand your post very good, Silver.

Also, a lot of people are complaining about the hundreds of mccode as they think they will see less revenue, even you think 'if there would be less games I would make more money', that's why I added that Time magazine article.

Guest Anonymous

TC Rips

Topic moved ....I think this is one everyone should read and comment on...

It is not war room material ...Id love to see both player and game owners perspectives on this...but please keep it clean and mature

TC Rips

being lazy and just seeing the game as a short term money maker and not wanting to invest is wrong.

there is no doubt to that. too many people think that they can just throw up a game and soon will be replacing thier income, or in some cases creating thier first...

in all games the players make the game for a large part, and the interaction between them keeps them around. but if you are throwing up a cookie cutter game then many, upon first glance may have already played something similiar, and moves on, never developing the relationships that really makes the game enjoyable.

I honestly believe that more and more people are coming to these types of games and that MD is more that acurate. Dont bitch. there is more than enough business out there for everyone. A cookie cutter game will get you a smaller audience of known gamers, so maybe start advertising to people who may have not already played any text based game...

But if you wanna stand out, build from the ground up with a detailed design in mind.

jus my 2 pennies

• 2 months later...

Re: TC Rips

don't mean to bring up and old topic or anything but this is a definate topic to be replied on.

my 2 cents:

MC Lite was the greatets thing DBS Codes has done. Without MC Lite half the PHP coder you see doing PHP games won't know anything about PHP. I Myself just looked at the script for about an hour and i knew my PHP owning the game will improve your skills. And with your skills you can build a greta game. You got to start from the basics. You see examples and use your common sense to see how they link together is the best way to learn. With enough mdos you won't even notice that your game was once run by the engine of MC Lite. Just keep building on and on and your site will be unique and as it was said above, theres enough players to go around.

It's a bear. I can't even count the hours I've spent over the last two months working on my game. I'm fortunate enough to have programming experience too. Even now with the game open, my to-do list is crazy. Aint going to get rich anytime soon. Keeping up with players is a full time job, and then when you add game development to that, it's crazy.

I have to agree that it is definately not a get rich quick scheme, same with anything, if you want to make a success of anything you have to work hard at it, i have often thought to myself why bother with it lol, but sense prevailed and i am still battling on,

the more games that out there the better i think, a nice bit of healty competition never hurts anyone, hell it's all been said in this post, my point is that i totally agree that the more games the better