MakeWebGames

How does one balance a Gangster Mafia PBBG - Question Of The Day 07/06/2023

Theories

Curious about people's thoughts on this one.

In your eyes how would the perfect balanced mafia-based PBBG in the style of TORN/GLscript look?

Balancing is always a tough question but if you look at Torn as an example how would a new player who dedicates a fair portion of time ever be able to play against a similar style player who has played the game for considerably longer?

what mechanics can you put in place to close this gap so the player doesn't have to rely on making friends to compete?

Keep to a round-based system? stat and level ceilings?

• 4 weeks later...

This is the age old question that I think a lot of people try to come up with an answer and potentially fail miserably.

I think that with a lot of the engines out there for web based games, it’s a real difficult one to come up with a way to “balance” the game out. I have been playing some mobile games lately like GOTC (Game of Thrones: Conquest) and I think they do it rather well.

There are still some issues with it like money grabbing but I think in the end it does balance out. Generally the top tier players generally stick with duking it out with other top tier players and leave the low level guys alone but they do a decent job at getting decent level F2P people a fighting chance. A lot of the stuff that you would “pay” for are found in game although in considerably lower quantities and you actually have to grind to achieve the stuff.

Some of the main things they do it actually base pretty much everything on your actual level, the higher level you are, the more expensive things cost. If you haven’t played a game like that it is really difficult to understand and put what I am saying into context but I think it’s worth the research to check something like that game out even if it’s not that particular game.