MakeWebGames

Need help

josh-j-c

fellow coders i need your help, Ive been trying to make a embedded forums for my McCodes version 1.0 but am having no luck

Id say I'm not a noob at coding although some things are just out of my reach and this is one of them, Please could someone help me out, thanks

.:[J.C]:.

Re: Need help

I'm not sure what kind of help you're looking for.

It took me a week to code a forum mode of some complexity.

If you're looking for like, a paragraph worth of advice, I doubt that's gonna help.

Perhaps if you had a specific problem you are having trouble overcoming that might help.

My forum mod is over 1600 lines of code, so as you can see, you're too vague for me to even begin to help you out.

I can offer some general advice though:

MySQL knowledge is essential, and I'm not talking about just knowing how to do select and joins. I'm talking about a more in depth knowledge than that.

Make sure you are pretty good at securing your code!!!

I learned while making my forum that there were things that come up that most other scripts don't have to worry about.

One thing I could do with my forums was force people to merge their items or logout. And I'm talking about being able to do that just by posting a post, and then when people viewed it, those things would happen. I'm sure I could have found even more sinister things if I had spent more time manipulating that bug. I was told that particular bug could allow someone to get a users password.

Lost One tells me this, and I take his word for it. So, I guess my main advice is if you're not sure you're up to the task, by all means, code a forum and play around with it, but make damned sure it's ready for use before you put it out there.

The thing that gets me is the wording - make an embedded -

The use of the word make leads me to think josh is actually making it, while the use of embedded adds in ambiguity.

If you are attempting to embed an already made forum, you're going to need to delve into the account creation script for that forum and the login script. Perhaps that forum has a help forum where you can get more specific advise on how to alter their source code.

It seems to me the account creation and the login for the forum are the only big problems, and as hamster suggested, once you've done that, you can easily make a frame page that has some header content from your game so they have links to go back easily, and the forum in a seperate frame.

Let us know how it comes out :-) Going with a well made forum that has been tried and tested would bypass the security problems of making your own, especially if you make a seperate database just for the forum, and make a seperate database user for the forum. Then you're pretty isolated from any db attacks that could happen through the forum.

I re - read the forum help you gave me on creating a forum for my online rpg site and i believe i mislead people, i have found a site that has the exact kind of forum i am looking for, i don't know if your familiar with it is called torn city,

The forum that they have is the type i am looking for but am having no look at this moment in finding one...

Any help on this matter would be a large help and if your have any idea's on where i could get the sql coding and page coding the would be a massive help,

Thanks

.:[J.C]:.