MakeWebGames

User, Roles and Permissions

I'm currently using Laravel 5 and I'm making a open source game engine for people to develop further upon (not a complete game without further development) however I'm looking at a few ideas for user roles and permission based access. I'm completely impartial to several ideas and I would like to ask you would think about doing it.

For example I want a user to have a particular role, but if that user doesn't have access to a permission because of the role, I want to be able to give that user the permission while still not changing his role.

Currently I'm looking at having a users, roles, permissions, role_user (pivot table), permission_role (pivot table) and permission_user (pivot table).

I'm also looking into the idea of having a meta field in the users table and encoding it in JSON.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Edited by krballard94
Correcting table name

As seeing something similar to this kind of setup in a more corporate setting, a couple of things to consider (besides having two pivot tables with the same titles (permission_role)):

1. Overriding roles - That is really what you're essentially doing when granting a user a particular permission in order to "override" their current role set. My advice: if you're going to setup a permission-role-user system, then stick to that. Allowing to assign permissions to a user as well as assigning roles to a user will get confusing very quickly on a larger scale. You will have a hard time keeping track of who can do what (believe me, I know).
  2. Pivot Tables - Oh, the joys of pivot tables. My questions to you on that affect are these: why pivot tables? What purpose is that serving you? If you have a DB that is handling user data, why not just create a few normal tables that assign these roles to the user appropriately?

As someone who has had to handle system security on a much larger scale than a game, those are merely my thoughts.

~G7470

As seeing something similar to this kind of setup in a more corporate setting, a couple of things to consider (besides having two pivot tables with the same titles (permission_role)):

1. Overriding roles - That is really what you're essentially doing when granting a user a particular permission in order to "override" their current role set. My advice: if you're going to setup a permission-role-user system, then stick to that. Allowing to assign permissions to a user as well as assigning roles to a user will get confusing very quickly on a larger scale. You will have a hard time keeping track of who can do what (believe me, I know).
  2. Pivot Tables - Oh, the joys of pivot tables. My questions to you on that affect are these: why pivot tables? What purpose is that serving you? If you have a DB that is handling user data, why not just create a few normal tables that assign these roles to the user appropriately?

As someone who has had to handle system security on a much larger scale than a game, those are merely my thoughts.

~G7470

I updated my post, I meant to write permission_user for the second pivot table.

As for the pivot tables, as I mentioned I am working with Laravel which is using Eloquent and these allow me to access them the easier.

http://laravel.com/docs/5.0/eloquent#working-with-pivot-tables