MakeWebGames

need help

modernmafia

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in /home/modernma/public_html/includes/db_connect.php on line 11

<?php

$mysql_host = "localhost";

$mysql_user = "hidden";

$mysql_password = "hidden";

$mysql_database = "hidden";

$connection = mysql_connect("$mysql_host","$mysql_user","$mysql_password") or die ("Unable to connect to MySQL server.");

$db = mysql_select_db("$mysql_database") or die ("Unable to select requested database.");

?>

<?php
function_exists('mysql_connect') or die('mysql extension unavailable.');

$host = 'localhost';
$username = 'root';
$password = '';
$conn = mysql_connect($host, $username, $password);

assert(is_resource($conn));

The PHP documentation states that:

Use of this [mysql] extension is discouraged
So you should be looking for mysqli or PDO. Failing that, performing a basic requirements test (as can be seen above) in your code during startup is not a bad idea if you are on managed hosting as providers often fail to notify users of changes.

i get mysql extension unavailable.
You have your answer then. Move to a) a different MySQL extension - ie: mysqli or pdo (both of which if memory serve me usually use a native-to-PHP -itself extension so are immune to a degree from OS upgrades, or b) a different host. There is nothing wrong with the mysql extension per say; I've never had a single security problem with it over the more recent counter-parts even though that is one of the most often repeated (and incorrect) reasons for upgrading. Saying that, the mysql extension is rather old; there are a lot of features of MySQL that simply cannot be accessed from it - so it really is about time you upgraded. Check for the mysqli extension at the very least; it is almost a direct shoe-in with a little thinking.

You have your answer then. Move to a) a different MySQL extension - ie: mysqli or pdo (both of which if memory serve me usually use a native-to-PHP -itself extension so are immune to a degree from OS upgrades, or b) a different host. There is nothing wrong with the mysql extension per say; I've never had a single security problem with it over the more recent counter-parts even though that is one of the most often repeated (and incorrect) reasons for upgrading. Saying that, the mysql extension is rather old; there are a lot of features of MySQL that simply cannot be accessed from it - so it really is about time you upgraded. Check for the mysqli extension at the very least; it is almost a direct shoe-in with a little thinking.

ill give mysqli a go and keep you update thanks for the advice and your time