MakeWebGames

Obliviate missing endpage()'s

Spudinski

I have to admit it's been some time since I laid my hands on an MCCodes script, so best practices out the window.

I would like to give MCCodes developers a useful tip.

How many times haven't you missed a $h->endpage(); initialization? I know I have had my fair share of times.

When it comes to output buffering for template systems, it's really a nuisance to work with.

So, I've come up with a hack for it...

MCCodes uses a class named headers for all it's templating needs, and using a bit of OOP knowledge one can automatically "close" a script that doesn't have the endpage() initialization present.

It's called a destructor. It executes automatically every time the class is destroyed, or in human terms, when the script has finished executing.

One can simply place the endpage() initialization in there, with a logical statement, so that you never get caught of guard by it again.

So here's a little bit of code that could make your life easier... It works on all versions of MCCodes, to my knowledge that is.

<?php

class headers {

// simple $h->endpage missing fix 
  private $page_closed = false;

function __destruct() {
     if (empty($this->page_closed)) 
        $this->endpage();

return true;
  }

// the rest of the script

function endpage() {
     global $db,$c,$userid, $set,$ir;

$this->page_closed = true;

// rest of code
 }
} // end of headers{}

It might be useful to some, and not to others.

But I just thought I would share this age old hack.

Spudinski.

Edited by Spudinski
I = Fool.
  • Like 1

Eh, I think you made a typo in the method name (__destruct?)... Otherwise, good stuff. The original code was not written with PHP 5 in mind, though, hence why something like this isn't already there.

Thanks for mentioning that silly mistake of mine.

Even if it was written with PHP5 in mind, I get why something like this is not implemented.

My best guess would be conforming to a specific coding style.

But, please be aware that this is not to discredit MCCodes, it's the other way around actually.

This is just a simple hack I mostly use on development environments, it's a short-cut method of doing things that isn't possible with the current MCCodes architecture.